Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Comp in IPSC Std Division

mikeg

Is it legal to use a gun with a carry comp I have seen a friend use one in a match here in the Philippines. I am asking is because if it is legal I will configure my project gun the same way.

My friend explained to me that the gunsmith cut one inch from the slide with the front sight and attached that piece to the barrel. So in Effect it is a 5 inch standard gun so they call it a carry comp. No holes.

Any insights. thanks

Sorry,

in my previous reply I missed your last two words, "No holes". I thought you were referring to a gun pattern that was quite en vogue in the early '90ies, where carry guns were fitted with a shorter slide and a single chamber comp that restored the previous slide/barrel lenght: they were named "carry comp"(ensated) guns .

I have seen samples made out of Gov't guns (with Commander slides) as well as Tanfoglios.

Anyway, as long as the barrel has no holes (comp or porting), if it fits the box it is legal.

Basically it seems to be a variation of the SVI/SPS design, that sports a non-cycling front sight attached to a rib on the barrel.

Edited by Skywalker

ok so it is legal to have a noncycling front sight. It is a pieace of the slide that does not cycle. It just stays there at the tip of the barrel adding some weight and the front sight does not move as the gun cycles.

thanks I will configure my project gun that way. I am just worried if I make it in that configuration and it is not allowed you are forced to go to modified division.

Like Luca said, if it fits the box and it doesn't have a compensator (either barrel integrated or one of those "bushing comps"), its legal.

I'm not sure about weights though, I mean like the USP Match has, for example. Are they legal?