Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a new truck -- need a tonneau. Advice?

More later.....

It's later.

post-1460-0-69700300-1413680314_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-96738100-1413680334_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-81782100-1413680353_thumb.jp

Cover appears to be very well made, though edges can be a little curvy, when seen from above. Still there's good coverage on the rails, they supply a rubber gasket for the top of the bed rail at the rear of the cab, to level that with the cap rails on the sides and top of tailgate.

If I had a complaint it would be that the rubber gasket on one of the panels was cut an inch or so too short -- so there's a slight gap where it lines up with the center piece. I'll call them on Monday, to see if they can send me a piece.

Installation instructions were top notch, I managed to get this thing installed by myself with some slight assistance from Carol. To deal with adjusting the latches, I had her stand on the driver's side of the forward panel -- because the locking rods are off center with a much longer rod engaging the passenger side. That got the front sealed tightly. It takes a little effort to open the front, and to close it, but then Diamondback recommends that the operator provide downward pressure on the lid, while rotating the latch to the open or closed position.

For the trailing panel, I had Carol sit in the middle, and again that turned out to be the perfect level of compression and adjustment.

I'm still working on sealing the tailgate area -- the first tailgate seal provided great coverage for the bottom, and for 75% of the uprights -- but it'll require a second application installed at a 90 degree angle on the uprights to completely seal the tailgate against moisture. We got a downpour for a couple of hours at work the day after the install and I actually watch the rain hit and run off the cover -- there were minor leaks when I opened the bed at the end of the day, confined to the tailgate corners and the area where the weather seal was an inch too short. Once I solve those, this thing should be as close to perfectly watertight as it possible to make a tonneau....

• 11 months later...

We took our first longer road trip last week -- down to Charlottesville, Virginia. Going on a three day trip with Carol is akin to making a move from one apartment to another as a bachelor or newlywed -- in the past it took careful loading of the Tahoe to fit most of the stuff under the cargo cover and the remainder on the back seat. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This time I was surprised that when I finally ran out of things to carry out to the truck, there was still a bit of room under the tonneau cover, and nothing was in or on the back seat. A 5.5 foot covered bed makes for a very good trunk! :P:P

Thanks again for all of the advice!