Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grip screw problem

Prov1x

Ok weird problem going on with my stock 3. I got it, took the grips off of it and put on my silver xtreme grips from my stock 2, went on fine. Took them off today to replace them with my new black ones i got for it. They came with grip screws....cannot get one side to go in.

It will turn about 2 turns and then stops. I didn't try to force it in because I dont wanna screw it up. I tried the original grip screws, same thing...tried the new grip screws, same thing...tried the grip screws that I used from my stock 2, same thing. I don't think I am cross threading it and Ive backed it out and tried e ery different way possible and can't get it to go in again.

I took it over to a buddies house and he ran a 3 by .5 tap through it and it went through fine and didnt have any resistance to it at all.

1) is that the right thread size?

2) what is the thread pitch?

3) wtf is going on!!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Prov1x

Check for metal shards of debrie in the frame holes, clean them good

Check the threads on the screw to make sure there good, could be a bad screw maybe

I tried both screws on both sides and they both go in on the other side.

Hmm, might be something going on in the frame, use a pipe cleaner (from a dollar store etc soaked in rubbing alcohol and pass it thru a few times to clean it good

Then u could see if the threads are damaged

Wouldn't the tap 3 by .5 clean them up or is that not the correct size?

What are my options if they are screwed up somehow or another?

I'll run some cleaning wipes/pipe cleaner through it tomorrow.

Well there were some metal flakes, pieces in there and i tried cleaning them out a bit. It will now go over half way in but not any further. Uggg guess I'll keep trying....I do have a call into a fantastic gunsmith at my range so if he calls me back I may just run it out to him.

i did the same thing, cross threaded one side. Took it a local gunsmith, he ran a tap down and clean up the threads. Was back in business within minutes. I have no idea what thread he used, but it was the correct one because the screw goes in fine now.

Sorry, i'm not much help, but maybe it was the wrong sized tap you're buddy used?

i did the same thing, cross threaded one side. Took it a local gunsmith, he ran a tap down and clean up the threads. Was back in business within minutes. I have no idea what thread he used, but it was the correct one because the screw goes in fine now.

Sorry, i'm not much help, but maybe it was the wrong sized tap you're buddy used?

Okay good to know, if that's what I did, that it should be an easy fix. I'm sure Kevin Toothman at USSA will have the correct tap. Is there any chance of finding out what size yours used?

Okay good to know, if that's what I did, that it should be an easy fix. I'm sure Kevin Toothman at USSA will have the correct tap. Is there any chance of finding out what size yours used?

Sorry, not much chance. I'm sure if i called and asked he wouldn't know the size off the top of his head. i'd have the bring the gun in, it's 30 mins out of my way. If you don't get fixed up, let me know and i'll see if i can make a special trip out there, but it would have to wait a couple of weeks, i'll be traveling next week.

I sent Henning an email about it and he said that it is M3.5 or 3.5mm so the correct tap would be the 3.5 x 0.6 mm I believe.

I just hope that Kevin has that size of tap, if not I guess I will be ordering one.

Edited by Prov1x

Whew....called several places in tulsa to find the screw tap that i needed and went and picked it up. Came home and ran it through it once and bam, fixed!!!!

What a relief! Now to go sight it in and shoot it in tomorrow's match.

M3.5 x 0.6 if anyone needs that info.