Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideways Primers

I have a 550B that I bought last February. I'd loaded about 6000 9mm and then I switched to 45 and loaded up about 150 rounds for load development and then converted my 550 back to 9mm and ran off 1000 rounds. The 45 and the 9mm loaded flawlessly. Now that I am out of 9mm bullets and boxes to put them in, I switched the loader back to 45 to make some ammo to shoot when my Dan Wesson comes this week and to run off some SWC stuff for revolver plinking ammo. None of the SWC bullets I've tried will feed reliably if I load them short enough to plunk in my SAR K2. So the revolver gets the bottom feeder leftovers.

I've run off about 100 rounds and I've had 5 that look like this:

SIdewaysPrimer_zpsa9c335bd.jpg

After the first 3, I started watching every primer feed and it looked like the primers were flat in the cup as they moved towards seating. I figure that there's something flipping them as the go through the shell plate. I've had the problem with both Winchester and CCI primers and both Federal and R-P brass. I don't see anything hanging up when I cycle the primers with no cases in place. The large primer bar seems to be cycling smoothly. I did pull the primer bar apart and clean it with alcohol. When I put in the large primer bar, the first time, I did the greenie polish before installation.

What else should I check?

modify_inline.gif

• 1 month later...

also make sure shell plate is clean and is not getting hung up anywhere it has to be centered for primer to go in if its off a little when you push to seat it it will can't up on one side causing it to be seated in sideways