Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on bullets

ghost21

Xtremes are very accurate and LOT cheaper than those jacked options.

What's a 'jacked' option? New type of boolit? :goof:

Xtreme keeps mucking with prices lately.. :-/

As I'm typing this, 3k 124gr RN (I've yet to get their HPs to run as accurately, so I've stopped bothering with their various HPs..) shipped (current flat rate $5 ship, and 5% sale on plated bullets at the moment) runs $232.43 (normally w/out 5% off would be ~$244). 7.74c/rd - not bad.

3k 147gr runs: $254.38 (incl 5% off sale), or 8.5c/rd

Cases of MGs:

124gr JHP: $368/3750 = 9.8c each. This is barely within my 'willing to pay' top limit.

147gr CMJ: $365/3k shipped = 12.17c each shipped. Out of my price range.

Cases of Hi-Tek coated from Bayou (SNS, BBI, others will be slightly less):

124gr RN: $246/3500 = 7c each (can get into 6.xc/each range depending on qty with SNS and BBI, others)

147gr: $233/3k shipped = 7.8c each

A case of 124gr RN Hi Tek coated, shipping included, from SNS, runs $261/3700 = 7c each, while BBI seems to be $235/3500 shipped, or 6.7c/each.

MG JHPs remain my most accurate load so far, but some of the Hi Teks aren't far behind.

I've got an OK stash of MGs, Xtremes, and various Hi Tek coated (and a few Blue Bullets) to keep me going for a while, but right now, at least until next Xtreme price change ( :angry2: ), I'm done with buying MGs, will buy Xtremes only when on sales > 5%, or occasionally in smaller quantities (e.g. their 55gr FMJBT), and looking to Hi Teks for my case purchases.

YMMV, as always. I initially thought Xtremes might be a good compromise at 1-2c/ea cheaper vs MGs, but am now hard-pressed to come up with a 'best' load in them that I can't equal the accuracy of with one of the Hi Teks, at yet another almost 1c/rd cheaper vs Xtremes. I'm not shooting Major, so not using Xtreme heavy plated, but for my money it's tough to beat the Hi Tek offerings currently (until Xtreme runs another 15% off holiday sale, perhaps :) ).

My initial reason for trying the various coated options is that the club where I shoot had a rule that only lead could be shot at steel...and I like shooting steel. They've just revised the rules, and now lead and plated bullets are allowed on steel, but still not jacketed.

For semi-autos, I've loaded PD, MG, Zero, BBI, X-treme, Precision, Bayou, and Black and Blue.

Now that I can shoot plated at steel, the only reason to consider coated bullets is cost. At regular prices, figuring in shipping, coated is anywhere from half a cent to a few cents cheaper per bullet depending on caliber.

I just loaded 100 each of X-Treme 200gr HP and Bayou 200gr RNFP. I plan to do some side by side comparisons to help decide how to proceed.