Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety Comfort - STI Eagle vs. Edge

rottenit

I have both an STI Eagle and Edge (.45/.40). I have recently been experimenting with placing my right thumb on the safety as part of my normal grip.Previously I would grip with my thumb under the safety (I'm new to the 1911/2011 platform). The eagle is significantly more comfortable than the edge, with the edge it seems to "bite" or dig into the webbing between my thumb and index finger.

So I'm looking for suggestions, would a different grip safety on the edge be a good option? It looks like a previous owner did some relief work on the edge in that area.

(Edge photos are first in each set)

Picture%20%5B2%5D-M.jpg
Picture%20%5B4%5D-M.jpg
Picture%20%5B1%5D-M.jpg
Picture-M.jpg
Picture%20%5B6%5D-M.jpg
Picture%20%5B5%5D-M.jpg

I've had the same issue. I can't tell from your pics, but is the top pic the one of the Edge? See how the beavertail on the grip safety has been scallop relief cut? That's typical of the stock STI BTGS. It allows the gun to sit deeper in your hand for a higher hold, but for me it causes a hot spot in the web of my hand from that corner right behind the thumb safety. Based on your pic of the Eagle it looks like somebody at one point installed a different BTGS that does not have the relief cuts in the beavertail that eliminates the corner, which explains why the Eagle is more comfortable.

I remove the stock BTGS from all of my STIs and install Ed Brown's. The EB requires some fitting to blend it in but otherwise it is a good fit.