Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide-mounted red dot on Glock 35 – suggestions/feedback?

jaredr

Have decided I’d like to try out a slide-mounted red dot, wanted to solicit some advice and/or feedback from others on the forum who have already put one together or had a chance to try one out firsthand. I’ve no experience using any slide-mounted red dot optic.

I’ll try and offer some insight into what I’ll be doing with it and what I see as my options for parts/components and machine work, keen to hear people’s thoughts:

Intended purpose

intended purpose is just plinking, (square) range practice and general goofing around. Not building this to compete in open or any other division. Not intending to use this for any self-defense purpose (avoiding the theatrically solemn “well, if your life is on the line…” discussions that follow equipment debate at other places). No hunting, fishing, pest control (unless you include the occasional empty bottles or cans that make their way out of the garbage can at my local range).

Intended Firearm

Already have a gen 3 glock 35 that sees limited range use. Since I’m not sure whether the slide-mounted dot is something that will really work for me, my thought was to just build a separate red-dot top-end for the G35. This would allow me to actually do some back to back testing at the range (i.e. stage performance for time) comparing irons (or at least the factory plastic post and notch) to the red-dot just by swapping top-ends without the expense of buying a separate firearm.

In the end, if I decide the red-dot isn't doing it for me I can just sell the top end and keep my otherwise unmolested G35 with its current crappy plastic factory sights.

Installation method?

Definitely want to mill the slide and sink the red dot as low as is practical. I’ve seen a few pics of folks bolting a mini red dot (e.g. tasco optima) to the slide using an adapter that sits in the rear sight dovetail. Yuck. Given what I’ll invest in putting the slide together and buying a quality optic, I might as well spring for a decent installation. Not planning on mucking around with running any backup iron sights – if the dot goes down, pistol gets a scolding and goes back into the range back.

This pic shows a burris but you get the general idea. No irons, just the optic.

10000_46589.jpg

10000_46590.jpg

Red Dot – which one?

Trijicon RMR. Thinking the RM06 – 3.25MOA dot, auto-adjust for dot intensity or manually adjustable (8 brightness settings according to product website).

RM06.jpg

Downside is it’s pricey. Upside is its pretty indestructible by all accounts. Deltapoint is another option but generally the tacticool crowd seems to be in love with the RMR, so I figure if the Russians ever invade for my stamp collection (actually, not as funny a joke as it might have been 6 mos ago) I can take comfort knowing my optic won’t let me down. I dunno – should I save $250 and just go with a Burris fastfire? Any thoughts on pros/cons of RMR vs. other brands (there’s a ton of options at there, tho the fastfire, deltapoint and RMR seem to be most common).

Slide/top end manufacturer

Unless anyone has any horror stories about their slides or machining, was thinking of just getting a built top-end replacement slide from Lone Wolf. Lone Wolf advertises a 416 stainless built G35 replacement slide (all parts except barrel and sights) for $388. Additionally, they’ll mill the slide to install the red dot for $125. Downside is between the cost of the barrel and slide, I’m getting close to the cost of a new G35. On the other hand, I could just pick up a more affordable hobby…

Appreciate any feedback anyone has in general and certainly interested in any reviews or customer experience with lone wolf's slides or their machinework to mill the slide for a dot.

Thanks in advance!

I currently run a fast fire 3 on a 22 slide. I love it. Best thing about Burris is the no questions lifetime warranty. I am on number 2. First lasted almost 2 years.

Personally I would lean towards the deltapoint if I were to do it again. Reason being the rmr has too small of window. I, like you, liked how rugged the rmr was. That is until I milled a slide for a guy who wanted a rmr mounted. Side by side the rmr has 1/3 less usable glass than the fast fire.

My $.02, take it for what its worth.