Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax light primer strikes

GetAwayDriva

I don't know if anyone cares to hear the last chapter on this (hopefully without any future addendum). For the last couple weeks we have swapped parts back and forth from the suspect versamax and the one that ate anything it was fed, checked tolerances, compared and contrasted.... Changed springs, hammers, pins.... Polished surfaces... I have taken my Shotgun apart several hundred times and could probably do it in my sleep. Just about to give up and send the huge POS back to Remington, when we decided to try changing one last part. The recoil spring. Ordered a new one and my gun ate 75 rounds and spit out nice empty hulls on every last one of them! Touch wood, I think my problem I solved. Thank you everyone for your advice!

You know I have been thinking about the action spring as a possible cause of this light strike problem. It makes since to beef one up. I have had mine back at least 5 times and everything always looks and acts perfect in the shop.

I think that the chamber/welded lifter might be the culprit, if the ammo gods are looking at you with a smile small, variations in the crimped end of the shell will funnel into the chamber without being deformed by the extractor cut(and yes mine has been worked over) and all is well.

But when the crimped end is slightly deformed by that cut as its chambered it creates excessive drag during the chambering cycle and keeps the bolt from going completely into battery causing a light strike. Next time you hear a click, stop, pull the round out and inspect for a slight cut in the front of the shell(crimped end) and see if it could be the cause. The welded-up lifter could be causing this misalignment with the chamber.

I will withhold my thoughts on one the self proclaimed authorities on the VMAX that has magical solutions for all things VMAX