Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB primers flipping over or sideways FINALLY solved

I've been having problems with primers upside down or 1/4 turned in my SDB since a change over from 45 ACP to 40 S&W. I've been losing about 10%. Dillon has worked with me on the primer feed and sent me a new complete primer feed for small primers.

The new primer feed reduced my fail rate but I still failed too many.

Today I borrowed a shell holder plate from a friend who also loads 40 S&W.

PROBLEM SOLVED! I had ONE failed load in 300. I'm happy.

It appears the primer cup was catching on the rough edge on the shell holder plate.

I'll be visiting Dillon on my next trip to PHX to get it replaced.

I have to admit that I was 13 when I had my first SD, don't think I have a manual for one now. My Brother and I had to split the $130 cost back then (about 30 years) to afford it but we saved enough money to buy the second a year later.

We loaded 814 rounds in one hour on one of them, he only mashed my fingers twice (I was the bullet feeder, he was the case feeder and autodrive). After I suggested we swap positions, we were OK.

I didn't know much of anything except snap together models back then but I would trade all the reloading gear I have now, to spend another hour loading with him again.

Edited by jmorris

The measurement that Dillon gives you for the height of the primer feed rod is wrong. I had the same problem on my SDB. Pull the primer system out, loosen the adjustment screw, compress the primer feed rod to the lowest setting, and re tighten the screw. The problem for me went away immediately.

I've used the SDB for about 10 years have loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds. My problem also started suddenly.

The Dillon tech on phone told me this fix.

Dave

sent from Nokia 920