Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't use Forster micrometer seat dies

Just set up my S1050 for .308 and found I can't use Forster mic seat dies. I had same results with 30-06 but hoped the shorter .308 cartridge would clear the sliding sleeve. It doesnt.

I already had my 30-06 die sleeve machined flush, which didn't work, and don't really want to go through the effort with the .308 die. I'll probably just sell it rather than ruin it for someone else to use. Shame I really like this die for .223.

Anyone use the RCBS mic die? It looks like that die dispenses with the sliding sleeve. Does it give consistent measurable seating adjustments and concentric ammo?

Just set up my S1050 for .308 and found I can't use Forster mic seat dies. I had same results with 30-06 but hoped the shorter .308 cartridge would clear the sliding sleeve. It doesnt.

Anyone use the RCBS mic die? It looks like that die dispenses with the sliding sleeve. Does it give consistent measurable seating adjustments and concentric ammo?

I use a Redding 'Competition' micrometer seating die (with sliding sleeve) for .308 on my S1050. I did have to machine the sleeve flush with the bottom of the die to allow the shellplate to index without interfering with the bullet. I guess it may also depend on the type of bullet being used and the seating depth/COAL required, and whether the bullet is dropped before the seating die or at that station.

I'm very happy with the runout I'm achieving, but it has as much to do with what has happened before the brass reaches the seating die as the die itself. I've been thinking of trying a Forster ultra die for my next project, but now I'll see if I can borrow one first.

I've used a RCBS mic die (with side 'window') but only on single-stage presses. The die I have requires a special shell-holder extension, which would render it incompatible with a progressive press.

Edit: After a little more research I found that the RCBS 'Competition' micrometer seating die requires a shellholder extension, and is therefore incompatible with progressive presses, but the RCBS 'Gold Medal' micrometer seating die does not require the extension, so it is compatible with progressives in that respect.

Edited by roxfo

Thank you for the replies.

Roxfo - I machined my 30-06 sleeve flush with the die but was discouraged to find indexing was not possible. I ordered the .308 sleeve and rebuilt the 30-06 die for .308. Placing the bullet on the case is possible and as you stated the only issue is with indexing the shell plate. In order to clear the die I have to push the sleeve manually back into the die. A flush sleeve would allow enough clearance. If yours is working 100% Ill go that route. I just didn't want to cut another sleeve rendering it unsaleable. Thanks for the info on the RCBS dies. Ill cut my .308 sleeve before I consider buying RCBS. Im using the Dillon die now and just loading to a standard 2.8. When I settle on a load Ill want the Forster to mess with COAL.

RJacobs - I love the Forster die for .223. No issues and I load 77 grainers. The Forster die is great because the micrometer is big and allows for easier to read/set index lines.

Wondering if the Whidden micrometer seaters are will work on a S1050 in .308..

I doubt it unless some how the die is shorter than the Forster. All of the sliding sleeve dies have this issue.

pmclaine: Im not using the competition dies, just the benchrest dies as my loads on my 1050 dont change(208g AMAX 300BLK, 55g FMJ .223). I load all my precision stuff(77g .223, 175g SMK 308) loads on my Forster Co-Ax. But I dont think there is any difference between the base of the benchrest and the base of the competition seater since you can buy the micrometer from Forster and convert a benchrest die into a competition die(or do I have my terms reversed? just woke up from a nap and my mind is foggy).

I used a .223 Redding Competition seating die in the S1050. It required no modification. It IS screwed down just about as far as it will go.

I have a couple of RCBS Competition dies, the ones where the bullet is inserted into the side of the die. I have not used them on my S1050 because as previously stated, they require an extended shell holder to increase the stroke an additional inch or so. Therefore they are limited to a single stage press.

Aside from the extended shell holder, the RCBS competition micrometer dies work in a similar manner as the Redding. Both give accurate ammo and have the same ability to change the seating depth .001” at a time.

Edited by RonofVa