Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to figure out...

Iggy42

So I have been competing in USPSA since 2010, and Limited since the end of '12 with a Canyon Creek'd XDm. The gun runs great and I have done fairly well with it (normally finishing top 5/top 10 at local matches), however since I got into competitive shooting I have lusted over a 2011. I am now at a point where it looks like during the off season I can afford a quality 2011 (CK Arms Thunder Series to be exact).

So what I am wondering is if I should pull that trigger if you will on the purchase.

I ask because I have always been a 1911 fan, my first pistol was a 1911 and I love the platform. Static shooting (standing in a shooting lane not moving/no clock) I shoot the 1911 as well as the XDm in similar conditions. However when I started in USPSA I shot Single Stack since that was the gear I had and I was TERRIBLE. Pretty much last place every time. I have pulled the trigger on a couple CRP Edges from Dawson and they feel better to me than a 1911, but my fear is that my performance will suffer.

I am in that terrible place of wanting one thing, but afraid that I am better with something else.

I should mention that I do plan on adding an Open gun to the mix as well......at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later

Any advice would be welcome

Edited by Iggy42

Skip the 2011 limited gun and just go to open. You'll love it.

I would, but I also shoot 3-gun and my Limited pistol doubles as my 3-gun pistol. Makes sense to me to be running the same platform across the board

Iggy,

I would go with what you stated. "Makes sense to me to run the same platform.... No matter what action shooting venue you shoot, your gear is the same and can stay consistent.

***g***

Iggy,

I would go with what you stated. "Makes sense to me to run the same platform.... No matter what action shooting venue you shoot, your gear is the same and can stay consistent.

***g***

So are you saying I should stick with the XDm and just pick up an Open XDm, or make the switch to 2011s since plan on shooting Open as well as Limited/3-gun

Make the switch. You didn't list exactly what gear or 1911 you had but it might be it wasn't optimized compared to an XDM specificaly tuned and equiped for USPSA.

Reloads are harder on any single stack and depending on caliber (running factory .45 vs 9mm) it might not be as easy to control

Eric, what have you seen as being the major barrier to good performance with a 1911? Is it accuracy (i.e. trigger control)? Reloads? Something else?

It can take some time and a lot of dry fire to get use to the trigger on a new platform.

Limited with a properly equipped 2011 would no doubt be more competitive once you get used to the platform.

If you are looking to improve overall you might also consider some training classes. I think moving efficiently through courses of fire would help you much more than a new platform. Ken B. will be offering a class in November at Echo Valley Training Center in WV that you should consider.