Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outerlimits movement restrictions and interpretation

jaggy13

Hey everyone,

I am a match director for Steel Challenge in my area.

We have had a great turn out the last few years and it grown almost out of our control.

I have had some older gentlemen that I have made concessions for as the Match Director to allow them to shoot from the center box and not move penalizing them with a 3 second per run. as described in the "Special penalty".

Here is my question...

I am left handed and have been running the coarse of fire as described. (From week side to center box.)
I have nerve damage in my left leg and sending a shot from my left leg only (as I would enter the center box) is very diffacult.

I feel like it costs me a .25 to .5 seconds per run. With center fire I'm shooting an average of 5.75 per string and rimfire rifle I can get as low as 4.10.

If I were not the match director, I could ask the match director for an exemption which I am confident I would get.

But... If I want to get competitive, and actually try and shoot some major matches, I wouldn't want to practice a way that I could not perform when it counted.

What do you guys think?
Would I be able to shoot matches from the left to center box as a right handed person would?

PS. My understanding of the movement restriction, or how I explain it to new shooters is " in case a reload in needed it helps the person with muzzle control."

I am comfortable enough with that movement, I am not worried about breaking the 180.

Thanks in advance.

For your match where you're the MD shoot it like a right handed shooter would. For matches away from your home range touch basis with the MD in advance and let him/her know about the issue in advance. That's what I'd do if I were in your situation.

For your match where you're the MD shoot it like a right handed shooter would. For matches away from your home range touch basis with the MD in advance and let him/her know about the issue in advance. That's what I'd do if I were in your situation.

Thanks zack, that's kind of what I was thinking.

I was hoping for some other match directors to chime in and let me know their feeling to see if it's something they would allow with no penalty.