Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Sight Change Question

narcosis2001

I have recently been shooting my p220 and p229 EE in uspsa/idpa and steel.

Last week in the steel match there were quite a few of the smaller round plates out at least 25 yards.

I had the 220 and out of my first 40 shots as I emptied the mag each time, I only hit about 6-7 plates.Being totally frustrated after the match I went to the public range and benched the gun. At 25 yards I'm hitting approx 5"-6" low much to my surprise.

My issue is at 25 yards your front sight completely covers the target and I was still shooting low I'm sure.

I'd like to try a Dawson fo front maybe .100 or .125 wide so I get a smallet dot to look at on distance shots.

Is anyone running a Dawson front with stock rear on either a 220, 229, or 226, and if so what height front Dawson are you using.?

Seems in reading people say get a .150 high for 6 o clock hold, others say .160, and also .170.

Pretty big difference in them so I'd like to see what is said here.

The 45 I'm shooting 230 grain, and my 9mm 226 and 229 I'm using 124 grain rounds.

Would you run just a Dawson front with stock rears or get the Warren rear and match it with the Dawson front?

I believe the Warren rear is equilivent to the sig #8 rear.

Thanks

Sigs with factory sights shoot low for me, impacting about 6" below the tip of the front sight at 25 yards. They come from the factory designed to print "behind the dot". The stock #8 rears are .160 tall. I've had good luck running a front sight that is .03 shorter than the rear to remedy this across a number of different brand sights.

With a stock rear, I use a .130 tall fiber = POI at the tip of the front sight.

Warren rears for the Sig are .190 tall. With those I use a .160 tall front (#8 height) front.

My current favorite is a black Heinie slant pro rear (.220 tall) with a .180 or .190 tall Dawson fiber.

You'll note the .03 shorter front across all these combinations.

Edited by taadski

• 2 months later...