Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LC9 FTF

cfussell

Anyone with a lc9 and has misfires knows how frustrating that can be. Yesterday I went to the range and fired forty rounds and had 9 misfires. I like the pistol but if this is the case I won't be using it for anything but a paperweight. I thought about sending it back to Ruger but I had already installed a Saints Arms trigger bar and hammer which really improved the trigger pull. Its great now and much easier to shoot. I noticed a large amount of brass shavings on the bolt face and in the slide when I got it home and cleaned it. Too much brass. Looking at the casings there was some blanking on the primers and it looked they had been shaved off filling the dimple made by the firing pin. If you only saw the case from the back you would think you had a primed unfired piece of brass. I disassembled the striker and cleaned the firing pin channel reassembled after taking a small drill bit and chamfering the firing pin channel on the bolt face. This was done by hand and very lightly. Just enough to decrease the sharp edge of the firing pin channel. Today I went to shoot and fired 70 rounds through the gun without the first misfire.

I know blanking is usually caused by a mismatch between firing pin and channel and can be fixed by bushing the channel and having a custom made striker made. But this was an easy fix, I hope. Anyone of you guys had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Cliff