Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Dillon trimmer that never was....

Well, I can't be much help solving your problem but at least your error is the right direction. Having a machine more capable than you thought, is always better than thinking it can do more than it actually can.

Edited by jmorris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Brassaholic, did you use the router's collet (1/2" collet?) and nut to hold the cutter? I assume so, since otherwise you have to machine a new shaft. I've had a few occasions where my router bit has drifted out of the position during wood working (not often, and could have been under tightened, but still)

I have been looking into the rt1200/rt1500, and since I have cheap access to router motors, I began thinking about the possibility of using a router. Then I came across your post, which clearly confirms that it's doable.

Is your adapter just threaded on the inside to match the die? How are you locking it in place (locking ring under the vac adapter?)

Thinking out loud, I wonder if it would be worth installing a 1/2" shanked tool holder with the collet and nut and soldering it in place? I'm guessing it would hold it well enough but there might be balance issues from the unevenness of the solder. Maybe I just need to trust the collet and nut.

thanks
bob

Bosch offers, but doesn't include, a 3/8 collet, and yes, thats what I use.

Yes, adapter threaded to match the die.

Yes, locked in place with the die nut that comes with the trim die.

That collet and nut on the Bosch is VERY robust and I have no qualms about using it.

Bosch offers, but doesn't include, a 3/8 collet, and yes, thats what I use.

!/2" end mill with the shank cut down to 3/8", or 1/2" end mill that came that way? Any reason for the use of the 3/8" shank (and collet) vs a 1/2" shank and collet?

Or did you mean "yes" to the 1/2" collet?

Thanks

Bob

Don't use a 1/2" end mill. Use a 3/8". No need for a 1/2" when the max diameter you're trimming is for a .3433" OD (.308 case diameter).

Chip extraction with a 1/2" end mill can be an issue.

ETA: Also make sure the router you're going to use is capable of plunge milling. Otherwise you'll tear up the bearings.

Edited by Brassaholic13