Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of making the switch from LnL to 650XL

I loaded on a 550 without a case feeder for over 20 years. I miss that press. I traded it for a 650 to load 9mm major. That particular load has given me two distinct and reoccurring problems on the 650. First, military primer pockets suck! At least 10% of my primer pockets gave me issues, and stopping a 650 is a real pain compared to a 550. I tried adding a swager, and processing my brass, but the results weren't great. I paid bucks th of have several thousand pieces of brass swaged. That really helped.

Second, powder splash. I have done my best to reduce this with the added bearing and slowing the cycle down by hand.

If I had it to do over, I either would have kept my 550 and added a case feeder OR purchased a Dillon 1050, due to the built-in swager. The 650 is a great reloading press for the other calibers, but the caliber conversion is easier on a 550.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ditched my LNL for the 650 about a month ago. The LNL is fiddly. Shell plate bolt loosens over time (even with a lock washer) causing high primers. The case feeder is worthless with .223 and mediocre at best with other cases (upside down cases, jams at the top of the case feeder, etc). The 650 just runs and runs.

The hornady is easier to setup, adjust, change calibers, and change dies for utility features. It just doesn't keep running like the Dillon does and that is the most important thing.