Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holding a loaded mag in your hand.

Therealkoop

Can you point me at the clarification for those classifiers so I can print it out and stick it with my classifiers book?

The other classifiers which had freestyle, reload, then strong/weak hand were phrased as something like "From Box A only, engage T1-T4 with only one round each freestyle, perform a mandatory reload, then reengage T1-T4 with only one round each strong hand only." (from CM 03-07 Riverdale Standards)

Actually, I cannot. I know I've shot CM 06-06 as freestyle, reload, strong/weak hand, but I see your point that it could be read either way. I emailed Amidon, and I'll let you know what I hear back.

Those standards courses are exactly what made me ask this question. I read it as you shot the whole string stronghanded, not just following the reload. As JAFO stated it seems like you could do it stronghanded start if you really wanted.

Those standards courses are exactly what made me ask this question. I read it as you shot the whole string stronghanded, not just following the reload. As JAFO stated it seems like you could do it stronghanded start if you really wanted.

The shooter technically could shoot strong hand only whenever he or she wants but if it's a mandatory s/w hand then you can only do it for the last 6 shots and can't require reloads or transitioning to the other hand once you have gone s/w hand. Several classifiers follow this formula by starting with free style followed by a mandatory reload and mandatory strong or weak hand for one string.

I have always thought of this as a sort of legacy scenario-based USPSA rule in that shooting S/W hand is done in self defense scenario when the other appendage gets shot or becomes otherwise unusable. Once a limb becomes pretend nonfunctional during a string it wouldn't make sense to then require a transition to the opposite hand...at least this has been my assumption. There are safety concerns as well with switching hands extensively and I am glad that USPSA error on the side of safety for mandatory single hand strings when it comes to drawing the gun, changing magazines, clearing jams, and etc.

Edited by alma

The shooter technically could shoot strong hand only whenever he or she wants but if it's a mandatory s/w hand then you can only do it for the last 6 shots and can't require reloads or transitioning to the other hand once you have gone s/w hand. Several classifiers follow this formula by starting with free style followed by a mandatory reload and mandatory strong or weak hand for one string.

The "last 6 shots" rule is only for Medium and Long courses. That restriction is not listed for Classifiers, only that it must be used from that point forward in the stage/string:

1.1.5.3 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may specify shooting with the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the remainder of the string or stage.

1.1.5.4 Medium or Long courses of fire may stipulate the use of either strong or weak hand, provided that only one hand, either strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last 6 shots required.