Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casefeed microswitch timer mod

While prepping .308 brass on my S1050 I sometimes find myself waiting for the case-feeder (I don't think I am cranking particularly fast). I checked the RPM in case I was loosing some speed due to our 50Hz (240V) supply, but it was right on 4 RPM (strangely the speed is exactly the same on fast or slow).

I'd noticed the feeder briefly stopping as falling cases pass the micro-switch so I added an off-delay timer so the motor doesn't stop until the switch has been actuated continuously for a set (adjustable) period. I don't expect to gain much speed by this, but stopping and starting a motor unnecessarily is never a good thing, The motor now doesn't stop when cases fall past the switch, and a side-effect is that the delay can be adjusted so that when the motor stops the next case is almost ready to fall as soon as the micro-switch is released.

The timer fits neatly inside the casefeed housing. Also visible in the picture is a mini camera and LED light.

VA2H4928.jpg

What's the delay timer run $25-30

The timer was about $20 from eBay.

Why a camera on a casefeeder?

The camera and light are for visual powder checks, similar to this thread. I also do a lot of loading with weighed charges, so the camera helps avoid a messy double-charge when dropping a weighed charge into the measure (which just acts as a case-activated drop for the pre-weighed charge).

Since he has not answered I am going to speculate it's a requirement to reload ammo in Europe! wifi set up right to the authorities.

Wow that's speculation. I would never do it even if required

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to run some case prep on the 1050 for the first time since installing this mod.

Running a few thousand .308 at 1000 per hour and the tube was essentially full at all times; just one space immediately after each crank, which was quickly filled. I think the 'run-on' has more benefit than preventing the motor from stopping while cases pass the microswitch - in fact since the tube only ever has one space, cases don't fall *past* the switch, they just fill the one space and then after a small delay the motor stops.