Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Dies vs Lee Dies

Biammo

I recently got back into reloading. Purchased a LEE Breech Lock Kit along with .223, .40 LEE Dies. I loaded a good amount of each caliber with good success with only a little hiccup of resizing/deprimming .223. At first it was stuck cases(later to discover that it was my lack of case lube), but I broke the tip of my Decapping pin and had to purchase a new Decapping rod. One Friday I had a need to load 9mm to go shoot at my local range. Searched a few gun shops for the LEE 9mm die set with NO luck. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a set of RCBS 9mm die set. Upon setup, I notice that the Decapping rod was threaded into the die which would eliminate the slippage that I sometimes suffered when deprimming .223. Then I learned that the seating and crimping was done in one step rather than 2 (MORE efficiency). So I started loading my 9mm for my weekend shoot. I loaded about 200rnds, testing every one in the barrel of my SIG P226. I ended up not being able to make my shoot that weekend so I was not able to test fire any 9mm. I decided to purchase RCBS dies from this point forward. I have since added .38special & .45ACP die sets along with a .223 resizing die. I have also purchase L.E. Wilson Pistol max Gauges for each caliber. I have now loaded 200-300 .38 and more 9mm with RCBS dies. Gauged them(with fitment issues), readjusted, regauged(with better results), readjusted. It seems like when I resize my shells they drop into the gauge perfectly, however when I seat/crimp the bullet the cartridge doesn't fit into the Guage. I remove the Decapping rod from resizing die and run loaded cartridges through resizing die, they fit into gauge, but taking ammunition to the range for testing, the bullets now move inside the shell. I have yet had a single issue with .40 &. .223(loaded with LEE dies). Am I doing something just off the wall wrong or is the quality of Newer RCBS Dies questionable?

Wow there are a lot of parts to this.

First off, the Lee de-capping rod is held in a collet, that allows it to slip rather than break if you were to hit a Berdan Primer, or debris in the case, knock on wood I have never broke a de-capping pin. I like this feature, as long as the collet is tight, I have never had it slip unless there is some sort of obstruction.

Next, the Standard 3 die Lee Pistol dies perform 3 operations, Die 1, Resize and De-prime, Die 2 Expand / Powder Thru. Die 3, Bullet Seat / Crimp, The knob on the top of the die adjusts the seating depth, and the Body of the die in relation to the shell plate adjusts the crimp, So it is a bit of a juggle to get the seat depth and the crimp adjusted, because If you adjust one, you are possibly changing the other, not a big deal but a little more finicky.

I Prefer to crimp in a separate operation, I also prefer to use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on my Turret Press. I retract my seating die so the crimp does not come into play, I then mark the lock ring and die body with a vertical line from a sharpie. When changing calibers I just screw in the die until it touches the top of the turret and tighten.

Then the depth adjustment knob gives me the freedom to fine tune my OAL, especially useful as most of my turret press usage, is for Load Development, where I am trying different powders, OAL's, bullet shapes, amount of crimp, Etc. Then after the bullets are seated I switch to the Factory Crimp Die, this gives me a second pass through the Carbide sizing ring and allows me to give it just enough crimp to hold the bullet and prevent bullet "setback", I will actually press dummy rounds with a modified arbor press down on a scale to measure the amount of pressure it takes to set the bullet back, as this will vary with the type of the bullet, the brass used and its' condition, and the amount of crimp.

I unfortunately don't own a chamber gauge, I check every round that I shoot in competition, in the chamber that it is going to be shot from. I mark the Case head with different colored Markers for the different firearms, Ie: Red for the G21, Blue for the Taurus 1911, Green for the Para 1911, all in .45ACP not that these three guns won't shoot the same .45 Load in practice, but If I am going to shoot it in a USPSA, Monthly, Sectional, or Area match. I am sure as shootin' going to drop it in the chamber and drop it out. One malfunction and you may blow the entire match.

Just my initial thoughts, I am sure you will get some other useful advice here.

Edited by IDPA-nut

I have and use Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady Dies. All work well when properly adjusted.

Your problem description is a little unclear. If you loaded ammo, then resized the loaded round, you may have introduced a problem by swaging the bullet to a smaller diameter.

Set the case gauge to the side for now. Use your barrel to chamber check.

I would propose that you pull all of the affected ammo. It could be hazardous to shoot it, as bullet set back can seriously increase pressures.

While you are at it, readjust your dies according to the instructions. I am not trying to be insulting, but it is possible that they are improperly adjusted. Screwing the dies down as far as possible helps a lot to get sizing done properly. You may have an expander ball in the sizing die that is too big for the bullets you are using. You will have to measure to check.

Once the dies are verified as properly installed, load a few dummies - no powder or primer, and check them in your pistol. be sure to do the push test - literally push a round firmly against a table to see if the bullet will move - measure with calipers before and after to check this.

If the RCBS dies are out of spec they will replace them. At least for me, RCBS has replaced everything for free, even if operator error caused the part failure.

I use a lot of different brands of dies, collected over the years as I was learning. Now if I need dies I get Hornady or Dillon. It's worth the little added cost for me. I do like the Lee collet sizing die for rifle ammo.

hope this helps.