Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem being precise. 44 mag

PAcanis

Hi guys.

RL550B. I've been reloading .45acp using Bullseye and 30-06 using 4895. I just started reloading 44 magnum and things being what they are for powder, decided to use Hi-Skor 700x because I read how versatile it was, I could use it for my .45's if I wanted, and because it was available. And that's when I found out how hard it was to meter. Here's what I'm running into.

I found two loads for 44 Rem Mag using 240gr LSWC and 700x on Hodgdon's site: One using 9.0 grains and one using 9.5 grains. One is 1150fps and the other 1185. Just 35fps difference.

I am having to measure each powder drop. I'm shooting for 9.3, but only hit it one out of eight tries. Usually I am low, which is fine because I went out and bought a powder trickler. I've been as low as 8.8, but usually I'm around 9.0. Once every dozen or so I'll throw 9.5. And I am doing what I can to be as consistant as I can be with my cycling. I'm within 0.1 the other calibers I reload, sometimes the digital scale bouncing between numbers as in 4.3 to 4.4 to 4.3. But if there's a trick to cycling the maching using 700x I'm all ears.

Here's the kicker, the additional wrench in the machine, I am having to re-zero my digital scale everytime I need to measure a load. It seems to drift one way or the other by 0.2 just sitting there. I do what I can to zero, measure, pour into the case and see what the scale reads again. If I'm within .1 to .2 I figure I'm good because I am not below 9.1 and not above 9.5. But is this any way to reload?

Is this why only two loads were shown and why there is only 35fps difference? Because 700x is so hard to measure and anywhere between 9.0 and 9.5 is "good enough"? Am I wasting my time trying to *precisely* hit 9.3, especially with my scale continually changing by 2/10? Should I forgo measuring each and every load? 50 rounds in an hour is not what I am used to. Plus with the extra step of measuring and leaving the pin out at that station, so having to make sure the shell is aligned using my finger... it seems like I am opening myself up to a mistake.

Or is this reloading? I'm doing what can be done considering the powder I am using and the scale's variation?

Thanks for any comments and insight. Especially from those who use 700x in a handgun caliber.

1. How long have you been loading?

2. What type of Scale? Commonly a drift of this much could be do to a few reasons (fan on, AC blowing on it, bench moving around, out of calibration internally, super sensitive).

3. I have not messed with 700x but usually if it's a bulky powder it's a pain.

4. I try to get within .1 in anything I load. If you are reloading you probably are looking for cheaper bullets and better quality. At larger distances it a change in FPS could be a lot How far are you planning on shooting/zero? My 44 Mag loads have a Standard Deviation of 21 AVG Velocity of 1420 Extreme Spread of 59 with Nosler 240gr Bullets and Lil Gun. In most cases you are fine but published loads vs actual results for your gun etc is usually different sometimes way different.

5. For my match grade bullets I drop my charge lower and trickle the rest in until i get within .1 but I try to get the nail on the head as much as possible.

1. A couple years recently. Ten years or so back in the eighties. I loaded 44 mag then, too, but had a Lyman turret that couldn't meter near as well as this Dillon... except when it comes to 700x apparently. Back in the eighties I used a balance scale, so I can't really say if I was within 0.1 or not, even though I was measuring every load.

2. It's the Jennings that BE sold me with my press. Nothing is blowing directly on it. I checked it with the weight that came with it and it was right on. To tell the truth though, my other loads throw so consistent I don't pay attention to the scale nearly so much as now. Maybe it always fluctuated.

3. It's a pain

4. I would like to get within 0.1, too. That's where I usually am. I hope to chrony my loads tomorrow.

I have a Dillon Digital Scale and sometimes I have the same problem. I'm not familiar with the BE model you are talking about but, I have noticed that If I run mine using a 9v results are sketchy and not as percise if I run it on 110 its like a champ.

Try a hornady digital scale like this: http://carkart.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2100014640&gclid=CjkKEQjw75CcBRCz2LiEs5OPsZoBEiQADgUmazsPg0pbWMH-10rIena3mN-gAi4dst9ugh6x2XxJ8Dnw_wcB

I have had mine for years and works great everytime

Try using H110 or Lil Gun for 44Mag it's alot easier to work with.

I have a Dillon Digital Scale and sometimes I have the same problem. I'm not familiar with the BE model you are talking about but, I have noticed that If I run mine using a 9v results are sketchy and not as percise if I run it on 110 its like a champ.

Try a hornady digital scale like this: http://carkart.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2100014640&gclid=CjkKEQjw75CcBRCz2LiEs5OPsZoBEiQADgUmazsPg0pbWMH-10rIena3mN-gAi4dst9ugh6x2XxJ8Dnw_wcB

I have had mine for years and works great everytime

Try using H110 or Lil Gun for 44Mag it's alot easier to work with.

The scale you linked runs on AAA batteries. I'm not understanding what you mean by saying yours runs on 9v or 110. Unless you are recommending something other than what you use?

lol. Trust me, 700x was not my first choice.

Edited by PAcanis

I have a Hornady like the one I linked above and a Dillon I will put a link below this is the NEWER version with AAA or AA batteries. Yeah I understand about the powder especially with todays BOOMING market :) LOL

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25213/catid/7/D_Terminator_Electronic_Scale

I think the personally (No Expert) but the powder is causing the bulk of your issue. You might be able to give Dillon a call if your loading on a 550 which seems that you are the Powder Dropper is accurate to .1 and so is the scale in most cases so I don't think .2 or .3 is a big issue I would load them and blast them.

Thanks for your feedback. I guess I'll know more when I shoot them over my chronograph.

And it certainly won't hurt to pick up a backup scale. Probably a good idea.

I've got the powder now, so I'll make do as best I can.

There are lots of threads under Dillon equipment that address this, but I will add one here. First, 700-X is a medium sized flake powder. Most charges should meter within +/- .1 grain, with some varying to +/- .2 grain.

Start with the powder hopper at least 3/4 full, throw 10-15 charges to settle the powder before you begin weighing. Next, be sure cases are flared at least .010-.020" wider than a sized, unflared case measures. This ensures

the powder bar makes full travel, and drops all the powder in the bar. Finally, be sure the blue wing nut on the failsafe rod is tight enough. Push forward on the handle, as if seating a primer, and hold it forward. Tighten the blue wing nut until the coil spring above it is partially compressed. A business card should barely fit between the compressed coils.

Be aware that the industry standard for accuracy of powder scales is +/- .1 grain. With a digital scale we suggest calibrating it when you move it, then press the zero button between weighings until the scale has warmed up, typically 20-30 minutes.

Thanks for the tips, Dillon.

I didn't know scales had to warm up. I will turn it on well before I start using it.

And flaring the mouth more... maybe that will help with the occasional flakes that I see falling from the die as I lower the tool head. No amount of tapping here and there seems to prevent this, but it only happens about 1 out of 7 cartridges. Still, it makes a mess after time.

Yesterday I adjusted my load down and the scale wasn't being near as jumpy. No real change in weather or anything, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Powder was still varying by .1 to .3 grains though, with the occasional .5 low. I've resigned myself to the fact that it just doesn't meter well. As versatile as this powder is supposed to be, I'll keep it soley for my .44 mag. No way I want to be measuring each and every round of .45acp.

Of course if the powder shortage ever eases I'll probably tuck that 700x away somewhere for lean times and buy something not in a flake.