Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti eagle locking to the rear

PSSOH22

Hey guys. I just had my eagle worked over from drake gunworks. He really made this thing look unique. I also had him fit in a Wilson ext slide stop and I'm noticing if I even come anywhere close to contacting the ss anywhere then underneath, the slide fails to lock to the rear. This is an issue for me because I use it for idpa esp and it not locking to the rear makes reloading take more time. I know there is a question that the ss was improperly installed but drake is a pretty well known gunsmith in the defensive realm and I have confidence in his abilities so... I am wanting to exclude other issues before I blame the slide stop.

I was thinking of trying new mag springs even though mine are virtually new and possibly followers if it is recommended. To clarify, I am not riding the ss I have done some t&e with different placement of my support hand and the conclusion I've came to is unless I curl my support hand and am perfectly underneath it jumps forward.

Mags are stock 126 sti's factory guts. Ammo is 147's at 135 pf

What are your thoughts?

The Extended Slide Stop is the problem and why most people don't run one any more. They used to be "de rigeur" in the early-80s, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one on a 1911 now, unless the customer specifies one.

The reloading method that I learned from TGO and I teach now negates the need for one. Assuming the slide is locked back, the shooter reloads and as the mag seats, he uses the WEAK HAND thumb to trip the slide stop as he re-forms the grip.

Just a thought....