Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 rear sight help (on a shotgun)

bigkyle72

So I was going to put a flip up 10/22 sight on my shotgun for slugs because I don't want to whack the hell out of my barrel and I don't have an M2 so I can't send it off to have Kurt's tool used. So the 10/22 sight seems to be best option. I was wondering if someone could please mic the actual dove tail to see how deep I have to put it. I want to make sure I have enough meat on my vent rib to do this. Thanks!

So you don't have an M2....so what do you have? In 1996 My brother and I installed a 10-22 flip up sight on my M1 Field, which I am still using. We got the idea from John Shaw from shooting with him at the old S.O.F. match, so I can't say I was the innovator of this... John Shaw was!!!! (notice how I give credit to the originator... not just re-hash what I have learned from someone else and make it seem like my idea!)

As I recall (don't have a caliper with me at work) the depth of the dove tail is .100 and it is around 1.950" from the back of the barrel where the rib starts to the center of the dove tail

Kurt is right, the 10/22 dove tail is .100” deep (3/8”wide x 60 degrees).

Kyle (you probably already know this) if the rib is flat all the way back to the receiver (like the new A5) keep in mind that if you add a taller rear sight on top of the rib you'll likely have to add a taller front also to maintain a similar sight alignment.