Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warm up drills at steel match

Mike41

If there is a pit where you can warm up and shoot what can of drills would you suggest to get ready for the match? I am referring to you being at the actual match awaiting your turn to shoot.

If there are no opportunity to shoot is there something you can do such as:

Dry fire at a stage?

Some stretching excerises?

Anything else?

How do you stay loose just before you shoot, say you are next shooter or 2 shooters away from getting in the box?

Thanks,

Mike

During a match I wouldn't expect you'd find a bay open where you could go fire your pistol/rifle as you're only supposed to handle your firemarm under the direction of an RO or at the safe area.

Something I have seen done at USPSA matches and I've started doing it myself at USPSA and steel matches is to stand behind the RO and get into the start position and then when the timer buzzer goes off see how fast I can react to it. Doing that seems to help me. It gives me a chance to get to hear the cadence the RO uses. Some RO's sound like "standby" pause "beep" others are "standby" pause pause pause "beep".

• 2 months later...

When the steel challenge was at PIRU, we would go down to the practice range and run a practice run on the stage we started on. We would also shoot a group on the farthest plate to confirm our zero, for confidence sake.. Then we would head to our first stage of the day. There is no place to do it at the Steel Nationals, and I dont know about the most recent World match either.

DougC