Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What sights fit on P226 Elite Dark?

Jayohee

I know that Gray Guns makes a nice rear sight but at $175 plus shipping it's not very economical for me. I believe that the ones that came with the gun are MMC combat sights, but would something like this work?

Heinie SlantPro Sight Set Sig Sauer P225 P226 P228 P239 Steel Blue

or these

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/sig-rear-sights-prod42509.aspx

The 3 Dot sight is not very effective for me in getting quick sight pictures. I use a single "I" for my SP2022 and love it but choose to run the 226 because I shoot better with it.

Thanks!

Both the Heinies and the Warrens will be too short to get your POI where you need it. The dovetail itself sits deeper in the slide on these models. I changed a co-worker's MMCs out and we tried a number of different fixed sight replacements (front and rear combinations) on his elite dark and couldn't get close to where they needed to be. It was printing something like 14" low at 25 yards with a an #8/#8 combo. Bruce's solution is the best one I know of. An alternative is what we ended up doing: peening the MMC sight's dovetails with a punch slightly so that it could then be refit into the slide without any wobble.

t

Edited by taadski

Both the Heinies and the Warrens will be too short to get your POI where you need it. The dovetail itself sits deeper in the slide on these models. I changed a co-worker's MMCs out and we tried a number of different fixed sight replacements (front and rear combinations) on his elite dark and couldn't get close to where they needed to be. It was printing something like 14" low at 25 yards with a an #8/#8 combo. Bruce's solution is the best one I know of. An alternative is what we ended up doing: peening the MMC sight's dovetails with a punch slightly so that it could then be refit into the slide without any wobble.

t

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what do you mean by "peening?" What I did (for now at least) is cover the rear dots with black electrical tape to mimic the target sights. It's better but the posts that hold the rears sights stick out like Batman's helmet. I'd like to have a uniform/level top when getting a good sight picture. Did you just shave them down?

Edited by Jayohee

I may have misinterpreted your problem (like not read your post very well :-P) when I first looked it over. These sights have a bit of a history getting loose in the dovetails (despite the set screws). The reason for the fix on my workmate's pistol was because of this, not general dislike of the sight picture. My bad.

Re the sights, have you tried a sharpie on the rear dots? That might improve them some for you.

And just for info, "peening" generally refers to mechanically reforming metal (in this case with a punch at the edges of the sight's dovetail) to tighten the fit in the slide.

Sorry again for the confusion. Reading is fundamental. ;-)