Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45ACP Universal not making Major Power USPSA

navybowhunter

Hello all,

I am fairly new to USPSA, and reloading on a Dillon 650. I do have the knowledge of reloading down. Familiar with the process, just new to the Dillon progressives. I'm having issues making Major Power with my reloads. Currently I am using mix brass, deprimed and wet tumbled, lubricated and loaded in the case feeder.

Using CCI Large Pistol Primers

Rainier 230 Gr Copper Plated Bullets (weighed sample of 10, 228.95 was the average)

Universal powder, 5.5 grains.

COAL is consistent at 1.25"

Crimp is consistent at .471"

I have the Arredondo micrometer powder bar installed, and the powder throws were verified prior to seating the bullet.

My firearm is a SW1911, with a 5" barrel.

Attached is a spreadsheet I ran, with a sample test of 10 of my loads. Minus MV data, I lost the sheet.

Ran across a Chrono, with the assistance of a PRO, was 10 feet away from chrono. Loads are erratic and not making the minimum MV of 718 FPS. Anywhere from 690's to as high as 774. I would say the average was 705.

The loads are accurate however.

No evidence of copper jacket separating in barrel/chamber. Rifling bright and visible, after 300 rounds (USPSA local match).

I'm having a tough time finding published load date for the Rainier 230's for use with Universal. It is suggested to load to the LRN spec, of which I am very close to reaching, believe that is 5.6.

Would seating the bullets deeper, say to COAL 1.23" give me more velocity?

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Appreciate the help!

Edited by navybowhunter

It would definitely be worth a try. Sometimes mixed brass, which looks like your only variable, can cause erratic MV depending on the case tension, thickness, length and ect... of each different type of brass. Also sounds like you may not be making enough pressure yet to get the powder to stabilize so I would try shortening the OAL and if that doesn't work add a tenth or 2.

Edited by bowenbuilt

My first .45acp loads were attempted with 230gr FMJ and Universal (which had worked well for me in 9mm). I found in .45, Hodgdon's data was wildly optimistic, and it just didn't work well. Other sources have published somewhat higher max loads (than Hodgdon) for .45 and Universal. If the situation wasn't what it is, I'd say get another powder. Something like regular clays or WST...but good luck with that.

Since you're probably stuck with what you've got, I'd shorten the OAL a couple hundredths. If that doesn't do it, try a bit more powder. Universal doesn't burn well at low pressure, and I suspect this is at least part of your problem. I got reasonable velocity with 230gr FMJ at 1.215" and 5.4gr, but I much prefer Clays or WST.

Your bullets aren't LRN...and AFAIK, most people load plated either between lead and jacketed data or low end jacketed data. Speer's published load range for 230gr FMJ, IIRC, starts about where Hodgdon's maxes out. I doubt you'll break anything with a few tenths of a grain more powder.

Edited by njl

You need to up your charge. Plated bullets can run up to mid-range jacketed data, as per most plated bullet manufacturers. I use Xtremes and they told me to use Speer's jacketed data with their bullets and I have run them up to maximum with no problems. Rainiers may not be as thickly plated as Xtremes but they can take a higher dose of Universal than 5.5gr. Any plated bullet will have more friction than a lead bullet and they will require more powder to achieve the same velocity. Plated bullets are really only limited by the velocity they can be pushed before the plating starts to come off, about 1100 fps. You will never reach this limit in 45 ACP with maximum charges using jacketed data.

5.5gr of Universal is Speer's starting load with a 230gr FMJ. Their max is 6.3gr. I would up the charge before fiddling with seating depth. You can only go so deep with a round nose bullet before the entire shank of the bullet is seated inside the case and you are crimping onto the ogive, which will play hell with headspacing. Use the COL that functions in your pistol and start working up to 6.0gr. Universal is erratic until you get up to the higher end of the data. FWIW, Speer's manual gives a velocity of 730 fps with 5.5gr of Universal and a 230gr FMJ, right about what you're getting. I'd say to treat your Rainiers as FMJs not LRNs.

Edited by 7mmb

• 3 weeks later...