Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just slugged barrels........

jayhkr

So I'm slowly inching my way to getting the process started in casting my own boolits. Just like with reloading, I research, then research some more, watch some Youtube video's, head to the library and read, research some more....THEN buy. So the first thing I learned was to figure out my barrel's diameter so I know what sizing die to buy. Here's what I found out today. I have a Glock 19 and SW shield, both 9mm. The Glock slug reads in at .355 and the Shield in at .356. The mold I want to eventually get is the MiHec 9mm no lube groove mold. These are pretty much identical to the SnS casting bullets I've been using. I will be Hi-Tek coating these too as I care not to get lead in my Glock barrel. So the real question is this:Should I get the .356 mold from MiHec, figure after the Hi-Tek coating I'd be up to .357 then size back down to .356 for BOTH barrels? I know a lot of people say .002 bigger but that's just with straight lead, not coated. Silly question I'm sure to some, but I just wanted to be sure since my barrels were slightly different if that would make any REAL difference at all. Or should I buy the .358 mold, and size to stay at .358? Hoping to get an order on that mold in the next few weeks. Then I'll order the rest of the equipment (handles, cheap-o lee single stage press, and sizing die)

Can I suggest you try some .356" bullets in both, and see if you get Leading? Are you taking your diameter measurements with a good caliper?

I shoot 9mm in mostly Walther and Beretta pistols, and they all have groove diameters that are just a little under .358". I use .358" and .359" diameter bullets.

Bullets will generally shoot better the less you size them. Lead is an odd material, and sizing a Lead bullet will frequently result in it being softer that before sizing, and softer bullets are generally more likely to Lead than harder bullets.

Manufacturers do some strange things with chambering of pistols. I have a Browning HiPower race gun my father had built about 1965, and it has a large groove diameter, but will not chamber a cartridge assembled with a bullet over .356" diameter. If I use Lead bullets in it, I get fantastic Leading.

NuJudge, the Hi-Tek coating should take care of any leading issues. From what others have suggested I might go with the .358 mold and sizing die. I will at least try that to begin then if needed size down. Thanks for the info!