Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Chargemaster with e3 Powder

ZackJones

Like many other shooters I've started using e3 for my loads. As anyone with the Lee auto disk setup will tell you e3 does not meter very well with light (2.x grain) loads. I bought a used RCBS Chargemaster from here on the forum and had a chance to try it out last night. After setting it up and calibrating it according to the instructions I set it to dispense 2.8 grains of powder. I then had it dispense 10 charges and I dumped each charge into the pan on my other scale. After the 10 charges the weight on the second scale showed 27.9 grains. I next set it to auto-dispense mode and started loading up 100 rounds of test ammo. In auto-dispense mode each time the tray is returned to the scale the Chargemaster starts dispensing powder. On my single stage press while the Chargemaster was dispensing powder to the tray I'd charge a case and then place the bullet on top and set it in the tray. By the time I completed that task the Chargemaster has dispensed the next charge so I was able to load 100 rounds pretty quickly.

While loading the rounds I loaded 10 rounds with Bayou Bullets. I'm going to chrono those and see if I get more consistent readings then the rounds I loaded with a range of 2.7 to 2.9 grains. While the Chargemaster is expensive the frustration it has saved me by dispensing consistent charges makes it worth it, IMO.

Im down to my last pound and a half of e3 so Im probably going to load it only in .45 and switch to titegroup for 9mm, that way I wont have any load issues with my lee auto disks. What are you putting 2.7 grains under? Sounds pretty light.

What are you putting 2.7 grains under? Sounds pretty light.

180g bayou. It makes minor power factor for USPSA. The 2.7 - 2.9 load has been chrono'd at AL Sectional in my M&P and at Area 6 in my M&P and my son's Glock 35 and it makes about a 135 PF if I recall correctly.

I bet that shoots so soft it tickles. :D

Yes very soft. Now that I can dispense exact charge weights I'm going to work my way down until I hit 125 power factor and see how that feels. I also have some 200g Bayou's to try out. I'm thinking those would be great for steel challenge loads.

I loaded 250 more bullets last night and 248 of 250 were spot on. In one case I had an overcharge of 1 grain and the other an undercharge by one grain. I corrected the undercharge by hitting the trickle button once and it brought the charge up to 2.8 like I wanted. I'm planning to shoot them at the range this weekend and see how they feel.