Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why a three die set?

Alamstutz

I am wondering why a hand loader would buy a three die set for loading 9mm (or any pistol cartridge). I thought that a final run thru a crimp die was necessary to insure proper chambering of a cartridge. MY UNDERSTANDING is that a three die set (without a crimp die) will not produce a usable cartridge. SO, why so many three die set being sold????

Not sure I completely understand your statements. Your typical 3 die pistol set comes with a seater die, sizing die, and a crimp die. Some 4 die sets come with an expander die but some presses don't need it. The Dillon progressives, for instance, flare as part of the powder drop using a powder funnel not an expander die. That said, there are some pistol bottleneck cartridges that don't need a flare so you wouldn't need a crimp die. There are also die sets that use a combo seater/crimp die. The RCBS 3 die sets, for example, come with a sizer, expander, and a seat/crimp die.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Most three die sets from companies like RCBS , Hornady and Redding. Come with a Sizing/decapping die, an Expander die and a combination Seater/Crimp die. The bullet is seated and crimped in one operation. Some find this undesirable and wish to crimp in a fourth stage. Hope that's what you were asking.