Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another MRads Question

Fergus

So I've done some reading and I have my new Vortex FFP 4x16 scope mounted on my 7mm and zero'd at 200. So time to tackle Mr Wily E. Coyote - on paper.

I see my target and get out of the tractor and put my scope on it. At which point I've determined that its out at 500meters.

I know that 0.1mrads = 1cm at 100meters... which equates to 5cm at 500m.

My bullet drop is 36inches at 500 yards ---> going to metric thats about 100cm at 500meters. [Good enough for the example]

Doing the math 100/5cm = 20 clicks or 2.0mRads.

So if I do a hold over of 2.0mRads or use the turrets either way I should be on target.

Is my understanding correct or did I miss something?

Looking forward to hearing comments.

Stop thinking in inches or cm or clicks. Run your data in mils and dial on the numbers. If you have MOA data already just take it and divide it by 3.438 as that is how many MOA equals 1 mil.

If you have the numbers in inches already then a mil is 3.6" at 100 yards so at 500 yards 1 mil is 18 inches so you are correct with your 36 inch drop converting to 2 mils.

The best thing you can do though, again, is to forget all about inches or cm. They are linear measurements and the mils and MOA are angular. No need to convert mils to inches. If you need to make a correction look through the scope and use the ruler in front of your eye,the reticle. See how far you need to dial the correction and do it. For ballistic programs just run data in mils. Also don;t think in clicks. If you had to dial on 8 mils you are not going to count 80 clicks. Use the large numbers on the elevation turret and turn it to the 8. Fast and simple.

Whether you dial on or hold 2 mils you should hit the same place depending on your ability to use holds.

Rob01

Thanks for the response.

My approach is to break the problem into two parts; distance to target and holdover.

Distance to target is pretty straight forward using the reticle and target size - I can measure paper and steel and use an estimate for coyote. But I was messing myself up trying to figure out the hold over - it wasn't clear in my mind what I was to use in the hold over calculation - the articles I was reading all talked about distance to target not hold over for some reason.

Now I know hold over is about bullet drop - I should with practice be able to think in mils once I know my ammo ballistics.

Thanks

Yup what you would dial on the elevation turret is the same thing you would be holding. The joy of a FFP scope is that you can do it on any power simply and easily.

If using the reticle for holds or to range you want to practice breaking down the reticle into .1 mil marks. With the EBR-1 reticle and it's .5 mil marks between the whole mils it's fairly easy with practice to find the .1 mil marks for holds.

For ranging you can use the outer portion with it's .2 mil marks very easily to break down to .1 mil and even .05 to be more precise.

Glad to have helped

If you have a bushnell with a g2 reticle it is easier than all that. Once you have your load, and know that it matches the jbm ballistic table, set your stuff up in mils. If your chart says you are 4.9 low for that distance, you just hold at 4.9 and let her fly. I was amazed at how good that system works. Very happy with that scope and set up.

Shooter Steve,

I have been working towards that end as both you and Rob01 have mentioned. Last night I spent some time organizing my thinking into an excel table[table below] and will need to get into the field ASAP to get some data on my chosen ammo [i'm going with the Winchester Ballistic SilverTip 140 - 150grain as its readily available.

post-15201-0-73561500-1397060698_thumb.j

Edited by Fergus

Looks good but I wouldn't bother with meters or cm in target size unless you are in a country you use the metric system. Also below 1 mil should have more. I start at .3 mils and work up. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you my ranging chart in an excel file.

Took a pic of my file. The numbers down left side are target size in inches and across top are target size in mils as seen through scope. Also have you heard of a mildot master? It's a slide rule for ranging and makes life very easy and quick. You can see it here

http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Mildot_Master_p/t-mm.htm

photo82_zps63b4d028.jpg

Edited by Rob01

Rob01;

PM sent with email.

We are metric in Canada but I can go metric or standard, that said when "mils" are mentioned I go to metric automatically; a quirk what can I say.

Yes I have heard of the mil dot master.

However my thoughts are once I get my mind wrapped around this long range shooting then I was going to build a spreadsheet / cheat sheet and get it laminated and staple it to my shooting bench which I built myself this winter. I've skidded it into position - I've attached a photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The far tree line is out at approx. 1000yds. with fence lines at 350 and 700 to which I'm going to attach some flagging. So once I'm set up I should have a good vantage point from which to shoot targets or coyotes. [Assuming I've got no cattle between me and the target {lol}.

post-15201-0-34929100-1397142527_thumb.j

Edited by Fergus

Glock 3422;

Unfortunately living in Canada, the US has determined that most everything to do with shooting can not be exported to individuals in foreign lands. So I think I'll have to stay with a home brew kind of of solution.

Regards

Dave