Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 10mm with 550b and RCBS dies

I have loaded only 9mm and wanted to start loading 10mm.

I got the 3-piece RBCS loading set because the full-length resizer die was supposed to be great for 10mm pressures. I will admit not really thinking it through because I'm not sure now where to put all the dies.

I'm thinking I'll have to deprime and prime the whole batch of brass first (like a single stage) then put the resizer die in Station 1, with the set/crimp die in Station 3 and an open on Station 4.

not sure what it is exactly you are meaning but

it usually goes

insert empty 10mm case downstroke arm

1 Decap/resize

then prime on upstroke

index

2 Powder charge and bell case mouth

index

3 seat

index

taper crimp

index into bin

most folks usually get a second die to handle the crimp separate from the seating operation or you would just seat/crimp in station 3 leaving 4 open however usually the resize/decap and priming operation are done on station 1 as one smooth motion

my setup is actually a mix of RCBS,Lyman and Dillon dies for my 10mm and my RCBS resizer also deprimes while sizing

Hope this helps

The procedure you described is exactly what I do with 9mm and Dillon dies.

But the RCBS set has a deprime die AND a full-length resize die. These would obviously both have to come before the powder drop. But with the powder in Station 2 to stay, it seems like my best bet is to deprime and prime all my cases, then put the resize die in Station 1 and load as normal.

Were these dies in a new (as in from RCBS) sealed box ? sounds almost like you have 2 resizing dies with one decapping rod missing or someone added a taper crimp die as my searching only shows a standard 3 die set,even tried looking for a 4 die set no luck older die sets will have an expanding die that colects dust as it is unneccessary in a progressive that charges through the expander/powder funnel

Does the "FL resizing die" have a TC on it somewhere ? in that case it would be a taper crimp die (4th station) and used after the seating die if not then is it possible someone swapped the decapping rod into an expander die making it look like a universal decapper type die?

Also there is nothing saying that the powder has to drop in station 2 just push it to station 3 and maybe add a small mirror to check powder charging as it would lose the fail safe rod doing that I loaded alot of rounds before they added the failsafe rod without a hitch using a small mirror much the size of a dental type mirror and setting a light to shine into the case.

decap and prime

resize

powder

seat&crimp

then again the other option is to setup a spare tool head and decap them on just a station 1 and passing through the rest of the stations then resize and prime in the same step just before powder and seat.

if it is a 4 die set I wonder why RCBS did the dies like that though, could you post up a pic or 3 ? I just can't see the 10mm needing an extra die step vs. a 9mm or a .45 which I also load and I have never seen a die set for pistol set up like this but have seen a 3 die set with a Taper crimp die added to make 4 like Lyman sells.

Just some thoughts on something I am finding intriguing

Edited by Amerflyer48