Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes

3djedi

I have had 2 light strikes out of 125 of my reloads. These two rounds did go off the second time through...

It is a glock 34 and has a aftermarket trigger and striker assembly with 4.5lb striker spring. Stock recoil spring

The primers are CCI #500 spp.

I have put over a thousand rounds of factory ammo with this setup with zero problems.

I just started reloading and not much experience so was cci primers a bad choice for my gun? Are there better primers? Could there be another cause?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

As stated above Federal and Winchester primers are much easier fired than CCI with a reduced striker spring. You can make CCI reliable but you have to make sure that they are seated very firmly with a slight flattening to make sure they are bottomed out and slightly crushed to make them as sensitive as possible. On the next run make sure to seat them all firmly and see if this does not improve. If not you will need a heavier striker spring to make CCI's go bang.

I have had 2 light strikes out of 125 of my reloads. These two rounds did go off the second time through...

It is a glock 34 and has a aftermarket trigger and striker assembly with 4.5lb striker spring. Stock recoil spring

The primers are CCI #500 spp.

I have put over a thousand rounds of factory ammo with this setup with zero problems.

I just started reloading and not much experience so was cci primers a bad choice for my gun? Are there better primers? Could there be another cause?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had a couple high/not fully seated primers. The first hit of the striker finished seating them, the second hit set them off. Same thing happened to me when I first started reloading, I was a little too easy on the primer seating handle, concerned hitting them too hard would set them off. It's ok to really apply plenty of force to get them seated. I run reduced striker springs on my XDM and don't have any problems with ignition with CCI primers but I have switched to Winchester or federals since they seat so easy.

Edited by dave33

I have had less then a handful of light strikes through my Production G34 GEN 4 with comp springs, connector, polish job, etc. I narrowed it down to a few things. First was all my light strikes came from CCI primers. My Federal batches go bang every time. Second, I have had better success with CCI when I make sure the striker assembly is nice and clean ( the whole gun actually ).

As stated above, Glock gamer triggers and CCI primers is the recipe for unreliability.

I can confirm. My Glocks all have stock triggers and i have only used CCI primers. I've never used another brand after 1000's of rounds and I've never had a light strike issue.

First, make sure your striker channel is clean, any debris or metal shavings that find their way in there, will cause light strikes. 2nd, springs do wear out and when you run light springs, you are much closer to the failure point. In my G35, I run Wolff reduced power striker springs and I get about 5-7k reliable out of them, as soon as I start getting light strikes, I just throw that spring in the trash and install a new one. I get them in 3packs from Brownells. And like others have said, Federals are the softest, so if you can find them at all, you will get more mileage out of them on the same spring before failure. I run whatever is cheapest or available, but I don't shy away from CCI either. I typically run Winchesters because of bulk prices in the past.

First, make sure your striker channel is clean, any debris or metal shavings that find their way in there, will cause light strikes. 2nd, springs do wear out and when you run light springs, you are much closer to the failure point. In my G35, I run Wolff reduced power striker springs and I get about 5-7k reliable out of them, as soon as I start getting light strikes, I just throw that spring in the trash and install a new one. I get them in 3packs from Brownells. And like others have said, Federals are the softest, so if you can find them at all, you will get more mileage out of them on the same spring before failure. I run whatever is cheapest or available, but I don't shy away from CCI either. I typically run Winchesters because of bulk prices in the past.

The g34 has about 500 rounds through it. It's about a month old.....I don't think the spring is worn out just yet.

Cabela's had some federals for $37/1000. I bought 3000. I haven't tried them yet though........

your original post indicated you had over 1000 rds of factory ammo through it with zero problems, on top of your 500 questionable reloads, if you add some dry firing in the mix, its quite possible to be over 2000 trigger pulls, if the spring was a lemon, it could be done with. I have seen the reduced power striker springs bite the dust at 1000 rds and I have also seen them live past 10k without issue

In the event that you only have 500 rds, and not the 1000+ as originally indicated, that's still enough to have enough trash inside your striker channel to slow or retard your striker to the point of a misfire.

in your original post, you were asking for other possible causes rather than your questionable reloads, I was only trying to provide you with my best two alternative answers that were not ammo related.