Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Firing Pin / Block Issue

Caffeinated

My relatively new SP01 started having an issue where the firing pin wouldn't contact the primers. No strikes at all and had ran flawless up until then. Looks like the firing pin block is not fully lifting out of the way and has subsequently marred the firing pin.

The gun is setup with a bunch of Cajun Gun Works parts including:

Perfection firing pin (shown in the picture) and retaining pin.

Lightened firing pin block spring

Short reset kit and disconnector

Adjustable sear with CZ Custom Comp Hammer

Other springs and pins

The trigger bar and FPB have been polished pretty well.

Any insight what is causing this or steps needed to correct?

Here is a picture of the firing pin damage.

Thanks.

post-27377-0-00070300-1395674260_thumb.j

Edited by Caffeinated

Is your lifer arm still functioning?

It kind of looks like the firing pin block isnt being lifted out of the way and continued dry fire has peened the CRAP out of your firing pin...

The lifter arm does appear to be working correctly or at least it moves when I pull the trigger.

Wish I could say that I've been dry firing the gun a lot, but I really have been really slack about dry firing. I have dry fired, just not that much.

The gun has only been setup for about 2 months.

Im willing to bet that the lifter arm is not lifting the firing pin block out of the way enough. That firing pin is clearly coming in contact with the firing pin block.

Is there any peening on the firing pin block itself or does it look good to go? I find this interesting because the CGW's parts are tool steel which SHOULD be harder than the MIM firing pin block.

There is peening on the block as well. Just looks like the firing pin is substantially worse.

The picture above may not show it that well, but on the top left side of the firing pin on the outside edge, there is some peening happening as well.

Also, there is a slight amount of peening where the retaining pin (Cajun part) is contacting the FP.

Any insight how to test if the lifter is moving the full range of motion?

On the short reset kit they remove material from the spot that the FPB lifter contacts the trigger bar. To much may have been removed so that the FPB is not clearing the pin.

For a quick fix you can file off that bur on the firing pin and put the stock lifter back in.

To check where the FPB clears the pin just push on the back of the firing pin with the hammer cocked and take the pre travel out of the trigger.

We have already responded and will be sending the OP all new parts at our expense so we can inspect the originals. My concern is the OP indicated it ran fine then it seemed to suddenly start malfunctioning (please correct me if I am wrong). We suggested the trigger bar be kept lubed which can cause some weird reset issues if allowed to run dry for to long.

Cajun Gun Works is great to deal with. I had no hesitation that they would correct the issue (even if it happened to be my fault) and my intention on posting here was to get help get an idea of what may have caused the problem to surface.

Not looking to badmouth CGW at all as I feel they offer truly top notch products and have recommended them to many fellow shooters.

I hear a lot of people say that CZs like to 'run wet', not true. They just may not know what to oil. I use very little oil and can run my gun at least 500rds without doing anything. My longest 'torture' test was 2500rds, it had 3 troubles during it, all ammo related.

My 'little secret' may as well be attributed to me using synth motor oil. When I started using it a few years back, I instantly noticed that all the dirt was getting 'lifted' off metal parts and somewhat driven out of the contact/friction areas.

No dirt or powder residue was/is ever stuck to metal.