Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22/45 Too Picky on Ammo

Smitty79

I have a 22/45 that I use occasionally for steel matches. The only internal work I've done on it is to put in a Tandemcross bushing to get rid of the magazine disconnect. It fails to fire about 1 in 5 on Wolf Match and Aguila ammo. It fails to fire about 1 in 10 for Federal ammo of various labels. It has been 100% on CCI Mini Mags. Good luck finding those.

Is there something I can do with it to make it light off the rounds more reliably? If it was a centerfire pistol, I would just change springs or put in an extended firing pin.

I put in the Volquartsen firing pin. Wolf ran 100%. One batch of Federal also ran fine. Aquila and a lower grade of Federal had an FTF per magazine. All of the FTFs have a clear strike on the rim. I cleaned it pretty well when I put the VQ pin in. I tried to put in a VQ extractor, but the stock one didn't want to come out even with the plunger pulled out. All the YouTube videos in the world didn't cut it.

I am thinking of looking for a stronger main spring, or at least taking the housing appart and cleaning and lubing what's in there. It doesn't look like it's meant for maintenance.