Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 vs. Clays

jstagn

Just did a quick comparasion with chrono. Seems E-3 needs about .1 gr less than Clays for the same speed. Will do further testing. Interested to hear from others who have chrono this load. 45acp 230gr xtremme bullets, same overall length and crimp.

I am half way through my 3rd 8 LB. jug of it. I have run 124 grn. plated HP's to 1200 fps+ in 9mm and 180's in .40 up 1000 fps with it looking for exactly what you are describing. So far I haven't found it yet, I am not recommending anyone do this I was just curious.

In my guns for .45 ACP it takes 4.4 grains to make a touch over major with Xtremes 230 HP's and 3.9 grns to make major with the blue bullets or Bayou's 230 grn coated. Your gun may take a tenth or two plus or minus but for the most part it loads very similar to Clays with no ugly surprises. I have not found it to be temperature sensitive at all.

Edited by bowenbuilt

It will make major at 4.2 with the plated bullets but doing a little experimenting it cleaned up considerably at 4.4 which actually makes 175-6 but it was more accurate, cleaner and I couldn't tell much of a difference in recoil adding 2 tenths.

This sounds kind of crazy but for me the plated load feels softer. You try it and tell me what you think. Because both bullets are making major with the same powder it would logically seem that the coated loads should be a tick softer but not for me. I would be interested in what others have found using e3 and the different bullets.

You would think with less powder yielding the same speed as the plated that the Bayou would feel softer, just shows that you have to experiment, with different bullets, powder and even primers and even different guns.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds kind of crazy but for me the plated load feels softer. You try it and tell me what you think. Because both bullets are making major with the same powder it would logically seem that the coated loads should be a tick softer but not for me. I would be interested in what others have found using e3 and the different bullets.

Funny you should mention that, I've noticed plated generally has the "best" recoil pattern of all the bullet types at the same PF/same powder, but jacketed to be the worst (by far) and moly in the middle just behind plated. It feels like the jacketed are too sharp, moly too sluggish, plated just right.