Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Scope for 3Gun? Rapid Reticle or Primary Arms?

I shot the Peacemaker 3Gun last weekend and realized that, for 300 yard targets I am going to need a better optic and better gun. So, I just bought a Stag Arms 3G with a Scott McCormick trigger, 18" barrel, rifle-sized gas system, Samson 15" Handguard, and extended charging handle. It also has a Leupold Mark 2 Extended 30mm Scope Mount.

I don't have the money for a $1300 Vortex, which I hear is one of the top scopes to use in 3gun.

I am 59 and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so I would like to use a 30mm or larger tube, although the Leupold mount is 30mm, so want to stay with that.

I am considering the following two scopes:

1) Rapid Reticle 3-12x43mm Evolution scope that has a First Focal Plane Reticle. My thinking here is to add 45 degree offset iron sights for closer targets and use the Scope when needed, and still stay in Tactical optics Division. I probably don't really need to go all the way out to 12X, but 3X-8X might be useful.

2) Primary Arms 1-6Xx30mm .223 ACSS Reticle: I would still mount the 45 degree iron sights for use when needed.

I am open to other options for an optic, but my wallet can only afford about $600 max. I want illuminated reticle and 30mm tube.

Does anyone have experience with either of these or have any thoughts about what sighting/optics design I should use?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

In the long run, you really won't want a 3-12x. While the extra magnifaction might make those 300+yd targets feel a little easier at first, what it really does is reduce your field of view and make it slower to transition target to target. Also, offset irons are a nice thing to have for the occasional long/short/long stage where you don't want to reset the scope zoom between arrays, but a good scope is still a better 1x sighting system for most close targets than offset irons.

I've shot the first gen PA 1-6x and liked it. It's a tremendous value. Having bought a few cheap lemons before I really appreciated a good scope, I can say the PA absolutely does not feel like a cheap $250 scope. No, it's no Swaro, but I would put it up against quite a few $600–$800 scopes. When they come back into stock (very soon, I hope!) it's supposed to be a slightly improved version, which just makes the deal even better.

I shot that's match. It was a lot f fun but even with a good scope those were some challenging shots.

You definitely want one that has a 1x power or close to it.

Alma,

Thanks for the reply. I recognize that handgun!!! I think it looks a lot like mine.

So the real question is whether you think you need a 1-6x or would a 1-4x have worked at that match good enough? David and I were thinking the 4X just wasn't enough.

Your thoughts?

cody

Edited by cclaxton

A good friend of mine is recommending the Burris XTR-14 1-4x illuminated scope. I used it and I really liked it. They now have the Burris XTR II 1-5x24mm illuminated as well, but for $800. Having a hard time parting with that amount of money. Also, a number of people have recommended the Burris Tac-30 1-4x24 Illuminated.

thanks for any recommendations.

Cody

I don't have enough experience to say. That was the first time shooting that rifle beyond 50 yards and my first 3 Gun match since 2005 when I shot iron sights.

I was glad that I had 6 but 8 would be nice as long as I still had a good field of view. Not sure how 4 would be but if that is the norm for Peacemaker then I think I would want more. I really needs to get some time off the clock to do some distance shooting and figure things out.

Other than the two longer range rifle stages I ran my scope on 1 with the red dot turned on and that worked very well really well on the other stages.

After quite a bit of discussion with shooting friends, I have made the following decisions:

1) Using a scope greater than 1X is probably not a good solution to learn to shoot both eyes open (using iron sights for closeup).

2) If I will continue to compete at Peacemaker and other ranges where they put targets 300 or more yards, I want a little more magnification.

3) While I would like to get a Primary Arms 1-6x24 scope, they aren't available and uncertain shipping date.

4) The Burris design seems to be very popular and highly rated by shooting friends who have a lot of experience with these.

While I would like to get a Vortex 1-6x24, the finances can't handle it.

So, I ordered the Burris 1-5x24mm XTR II from Optics Planet and got the 10% discount so my price is $720. I could have got a XTR-14 1-4x24 used for $525 plus shipping, or new for $550. But I am getting new technology scope and extra magnification for an additional $175. I considered waiting for the Dual Reticle version, but again, not knowing when.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I will let this thread know once I get the scope in.

Cody