Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another procedural question

Mark Perez

I don't think there's any real provision in the rule book for un-doing a procedural. People will sometimes invoke the principle of giving the shooter the benefit of the doubt. I think that was written specifically with target scoring in mind (along with the prohibition against using scoring templates) - did the shot hit the line or not?

People have corrupted the principle of giving the shooter "the benefit of the doubt " into "being nice" - and not following the rules. Then there are people who state, as you have mentioned in your example, that the shooter effectively has penalized himself with added time through the commission of the procedural, and therefore should be spared. Again, I know of know provision to cut slack for those who violate the rules inefficiently. Similarly, there is the notion (perhaps identical, or a subset of the previous "self-penalization" doctrine) that there should be no procedural if the shooter doesn't gain a competitive advantage. That still doesn't get them off the hook vis a vis following the course of fire. I think the procedural is a procedural, and can't be un-done.