Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines Don't Like Me

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

As I've posted before, I just got my new STI Edge CRP from Dawon on Thursday. UPS sucks, so even though my magazines have been in Anchorage (where I am) since Friday morning, I was told by a rep that there is no physical way for me to receive my package before the delivery date...of Monday the 17th...wow. So I borrowed three stock STI mags from a buddy on Thursday and went to the range Friday...dang, two of them don't work in my gun with my rounds...geez. Did some break in/zeroing. Whatever, I'll borrow some mags on Sunday.

Sunday comes and my other buddy lets me borrow 3 Dawson tuned mags. First stage goes well, one full mag flawlessly (even though I had two mikes, dangit). So on comes stage 2, a long field course, 28 rounds. No biggie. Reload before the last 5 targets and I'll be golden.

Get to right before my reload position, BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-click-bang-WTF?...Mag is on the ground...OK, whatever, have to reload anyway.

Reload.

BANG-BANG-clickbang...mag is on the ground...WTF?!!? RELOAD!

BANG-clickbang...mag on the ground...again...

Grab my last mag, and calmy insert it...feel the click...

Finish the stage...What could have been a 18 second run and near the top was a 26 second run...

Yup. That extended mag release that comes on CRP Edges? My weak hand was hitting it when I squeezed my grip too hard. Took the button off and just dealt with it for the rest of the match.

Lesson of the day? Practice with your equipment before you expect it to work 100%...which I thought I did, but apparently not well enough.

Take care...and try to learn from my screwup.

-John

• 2 weeks later...

The sti massive button hangs out too far for me and I'm not a fan. I prefer the shooters connection Buffon or the Dawson as a second choice. If you run a button replace the light mag release spring with a std one or even an extra power one. The light one they usually ship them with works great with no button but can cause that issue if you run a button