Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best idpa ssp mods for xdm 5.25 .40

lknbigfish

The PRP triggers in SSP question has popped up several times before, and it might be worth a call to HQ, but I think the consensus was that all their kits are illegal in SSP because they replace the trigger itself with an externally visible, alternate part. You can replace any of the internal trigger parts (bar, springs, sear, etc), which is how springer builds their triggers, so those are definitely legal. Other than that, you can change internal parts like the recoil spring and put some skate tape on it, that's about it.

We just had the conversation in the shop, as Kyle is getting better and there is no point in us shooting in the same division if we have the potential for two class wins and we'll still be fighting for HOA. Guide rod, grip tape, trigger job and customized front sight are what I'll be using for SSP. Yes, I get to go to SSP because Kyle already stippled his grip, so I lose my extended magazine release and ESP IDPA slide stop.

YEs but PRP's trigger is an OEM part.

IDPA has different rules about OEM catalog parts than USPSA. The extended magazine release is an OEM part, but I was told it is not legal for SSP. If they change the rule for the trigger, then they will have to change it for the mag release too to be consistent.

YEs but PRP's trigger is an OEM part.

I don't think it matters with the new rule since it does not come on an ssp factory gun, only as an option from the custom shop or PRP.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!

The question on the trigger (and we have 2of them) is that does OEM mean OEM from Croatia, or does OEM mean the Springfield Custom Shop? If the 2nd, then I beleive they need to show 20K units produced with this trigger. In which case, Springfield should just order 20K drop-in kits from PRP and send them to Croatia. The stock XDM triggers suck.

And what's with the "magwell" advantage in SSP? Can't modify it for SSP just ESP, and it still has to fit the "box."

JD

IDPGay needs to get it together. If it's an OEM part it shouldn't be an issue IMO. The only real advantage to ssp again IMO is the magwell.

Honestly, it's not used on any factory XDm's, so IDPA's rule actually makes sense on this. Springfield has OEM parts numbers for the PRP trigger because their custom shop uses it and they wanted their guys (mostly Robbie) to be able to shoot it in USPSA production, but if they installed them on a mass-market gun in the states and actually sold enough of them it would be fine, regardless of whether the Croatians use it. You can definitely build a good trigger in an XDm without changing the trigger part itself, you just have to use the Springer Precision parts...

If its listed as an OEM part it shouldn't be an issue as trigger jobs are allowed in SSP. Personally I prefer the old metal triggers on the original XD's and a limited number of XDM's before they switched to the plastic crap. Don't get me wrong I love the XDM platform and continue to run the 5.25 in Limited division and most of the time in ESP. I'm just surprised that more don't run them in Limited.