Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would reloading be worth it?

3djedi

How does reloading work out with kids and busy life? If I set up the xl650 for 9mm can I crank out rounds for say like 15minutes leave it sit and come back the next day and crank out some more? Is it safe to leave the powder and primers in the machine....

So now is where we all jump in to tell you about bad habits.. ;)

Undisturbed time is important, but inevitably you get disturbed.

(lots of good stuff snipped)

True, but he never said he was interrupted, only that he planned to only load for 15 minutes at a time. He could be really, really focused during those 15 minutes.

:)

I tend to load 300 - 400 rounds per session.

I have a 12 and 15 year old girls. The only thing they're interested in is looking at their cellphones and texting. Lol ...I have a 7 year old boy who loves loves loves guns. Really have to watch out for that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If you don't Reload and want a Super Soft Shooting 124 Gr. Ammo. Get the American Eagle 124 Gr. Black Box Suppressor ammo. 3" Groups @ 25 Yards all day long from my Glock 17 & 34 and just a soft or even softer than any Handloads.. It will make 127 PF out of my G17 and about 134 PF out of my G34.. Click Link..

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=1030

How does reloading work out with kids and busy life? If I set up the xl650 for 9mm can I crank out rounds for say like 15minutes leave it sit and come back the next day and crank out some more? Is it safe to leave the powder and primers in the machine....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I never leave powder in the hopper overnight. You can get a lot of loading done between when the kids go to bed and when you do. I don't think I'd bother trying 15min sessions though. When I load, it's typically more like an hour or two at a time if I'm doing pistol ammo.

One thing to consider with the XL650 and kids though, is the case feeder. I have no idea how noisy they are, but it's got to make a racket compared to my hand placing cases in the RL550B. With either of these presses, you could probably load a month's worth of ammo in one or a few nights of reloading after the kids are in bed.

The trouble with getting into reloading now is finding suitable powder.

If I didn't already have all the stuff and was interested in starting now, I think I'd wait until I actually had some powder to bother buying the press and other related gear.

I have kids, leave powder in hopper, and will load for 15 minutes or at times 3 hours. On my 550 I run the shell plate clear when I stop. When starting back run a half dozen throws to resettle powder. If its 9mm or 40, who cares if it's a half grain off and a cartridge or two doesn't make PF. It's for fun. Just be diligent to not double charge or load a squib and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, all i have is a Lyman T-mag 2 turret press. It's a wonderful press and will last longer than I'll live for sure. I can crank out some beautifull looking and performing rounds. Its very precise but it takes me forever to make large quantities of ammo. The absolute fastest I can safely make is about 100 rds per hour. And that is after the brass is deprimed, cleaned and resized.

I want a progressive press. LOL

Holds out a collection plate :bow: