Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A5 magazine extension problems?

bigkyle72

I have heard that when running an extension on the new 2012+ A5's they have a problem with the auto load feature. Anyone else heard this or have experience with this? Also any other troubles with the gun? My friend has one for sale pretty cheap and I might pick it up off him but not If I cant not reliable make the auto load feature work with an extension tube or if they have any other problems.

Thanks in advance!

I have heard that when running an extension on the new 2012+ A5's they have a problem with the auto load feature. Anyone else heard this or have experience with this? Also any other troubles with the gun? My friend has one for sale pretty cheap and I might pick it up off him but not If I cant not reliable make the auto load feature work with an extension tube or if they have any other problems.

Thanks in advance!

Behind the shell latch there is a triangler shaped spring. Cut two coils off the big end. This will allow the shells from the extended tube to work the latch properly. Sometimes you have to cut three coils. If you go to far the gun will run but will not lock back on the last rd.

If still run a Browning Gold which also has an Autoload. It's designed a bit different because the loaded mag tuned puts direct tension on the bolt. If you run too strong of a spring then the bolt won't stay closed. With a bit of TLC it works fine but I can't run more than 12 rounds.

The new A5s don't have this issue and look really great to me. They also have a forend that won't get in the way of quad loading without having to take a dremel to it. I will pick one up for my next shotgun.

If still run a Browning Gold which also has an Autoload. It's designed a bit different because the loaded mag tuned puts direct tension on the bolt. If you run too strong of a spring then the bolt won't stay closed. With a bit of TLC it works fine but I can't run more than 12 rounds.

The new A5s don't have this issue and look really great to me. They also have a forend that won't get in the way of quad loading without having to take a dremel to it. I will pick one up for my next shotgun.

It seems like if you just cut the mag spring down make the tension on the bolt right you want have to cut the 2 or 3 coils off the shell latch spring correct?

I know for the Gold a reduced powder latch spring is a must as is an overpowered recoil spring. For the overpowered recoil spring you can use the one from the 3 1/2 model Golds. Briley makes a reduced power latch spring for the Gold so that is what I use but in a pinch I would feel fine about cutting a few coils. The new A5s seem to be much less finicky than the Golds were.

I know for the Gold a reduced powder latch spring is a must as is an overpowered recoil spring. For the overpowered recoil spring you can use the one from the 3 1/2 model Golds. Briley makes a reduced power latch spring for the Gold so that is what I use but in a pinch I would feel fine about cutting a few coils. The new A5s seem to be much less finicky than the Golds were.

Where did you find the reduced power latch on brileys website?

It comes with the extension tube set. You might have to call them to see whether they could sell them separately.

http://www.briley.com/browninggold10shotmagazineextension.aspx

"Note: The Browning Gold has a unique self loading system which requires the use of an increased power recoil spring and a reduced power latch spring. The gun will not function reliably without exchanging these springs. Replacing the extension, follower and magazine spring can easily be done but the recoil spring and latch spring may require the services of a qualified gunsmith. Also fitting this extension system may prevent reliable ejection of light 1oz loads. This can usually be corrected by a qualified gunsmith."

Briley's A5 extension kits don't seem to come with them by default which I see as a good sign since it makes me think that Briley doesn't see that part as a requirement for the gun to be functional.

It comes with the extension tube set. You might have to call them to see whether they could sell them separately.

http://www.briley.com/browninggold10shotmagazineextension.aspx

"Note: The Browning Gold has a unique self loading system which requires the use of an increased power recoil spring and a reduced power latch spring. The gun will not function reliably without exchanging these springs. Replacing the extension, follower and magazine spring can easily be done but the recoil spring and latch spring may require the services of a qualified gunsmith. Also fitting this extension system may prevent reliable ejection of light 1oz loads. This can usually be corrected by a qualified gunsmith."

Briley's A5 extension kits don't seem to come with them by default which I see as a good sign since it makes me think that Briley doesn't see that part as a requirement for the gun to be functional.

HMMMMMMM..........the one for the A5 doest say anything about that even though they both have the same auto load feature

http://www.briley.com/browninggold10shotmagazineextension-1-1.aspx

just got off the phone with them and they said that they havent had any problems with the A5's and mag extensions

I know its a different design that makes it much better for long tubes but I don't know the details. I say give it a try and if you end up with problems then cut a few coils. I really want to get one of these but my Gold seems to be running great and I have done a lot of work on it so I am dragging my feet.