Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JM 930 Trigger too soft? How to increase reset force.

Hello.

I've been doing a lot of dry-fire across all my 3gun platforms and was wondering if anyone has tuned their 930 trigger for a more positive reset.

Both my G17 (polished trigger guts, springs) and Geissle SG3g triggers have low pull weights with varying amounts of pre-travel, but after the first round I basically rely on the the very positive resets on each to catch the triggers and break the next shot.

My JM pro has a low pull weight toward the break but after the hammer falls and the action cycles, the trigger has almost a "loose" feeling in it's forward travel back towards reset, and when shooting target loads I can't feel the trigger reset enough to catch it consistently. I end up slapping and jerking the trigger trying to find the sweet spot. I almost feel like I'm trying to bump-fire the thing.

I don't have the trigger group in my hands, but I think there is a disconnector spring that also pushes against the trigger back to position. I'm assuming increasing that spring force would push the trigger forward against my finger harder in reset.

I'm also assuming that increased hammer spring force would make for a more audible/tactile reset as the hammer is released from the disconnector.

Does anyone have any input? I'm not especially concerned with overall pull weight as long as it's a minor increase. I'm finding that for me, consistent reset/break is a bigger factor in controlling my shots.

Thanks for any input.

There are some good pics of the trigger group in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187131

I suck as a shotgunner but detailed my work on how I reduced the engagement and trigger pull distance to .021" in the thread discussing trigger work on the Stoeger 3000. Bottom line, I only need to let my JM930 trigger forward .021" for a reset, so while its a soft reset, it happens so easily it has not been an issue.

Woohoo! I'm glad I'm not alone in the "Suck at Shotgun" party. It's why I've been doing so much dry-fire recently.

It's weird to say, but I suspect my body type may have something to do with it. In fighting shape, I'm 155lbs. after a good meal, so the recoil of a 12g keeps me focused on controlling the muzzle more than the trigger feel. I'm sure the whole shotgun reciprocates way more than .021" between my shoulder and support arm. In addition to the short and soft reset, I just never feel like I have complete control over the trigger cycle.

I can break shots just fine on single targets like moving clays, but when there is a string of clays or something like a plate rack then the trigger feels a little "dead" compared to my pistol or rifle. It's almost like there is more of a pressure switch on the back of the trigger guard that I'm trying to activate rather than a mechanical trigger that I can synch into a mental and physical rythm.

I get that some claim that you're supposed to be surprised by the break, but it's more of a sensation of inconsistency of not getting the trigger to break at the same time and place in a string of targets.

Any other advice is welcome. I'm definitely starting from the bottom.

So after dry firing my JM I realized I also miss the stronger reset present in other firearms. The spring behind the sear, which I think is responsible for the reset is about .186" outside diameter and is made of wire .028" thick. Found a spring made of .030" wire and replaced it after trimming to same length. Unfortunately while reset was much stronger, pull increased from 3.75 lbs to 8.

Using shorter spring was also a dead end as I was back to original super soft reset.

Went back to original spring and gently stretched it a bit. Now have a noticeably stronger reset and a 4.25lb pull, half a pound heavier. Seems a good tradeoff. Expect the spring will hold for quite a while as it does not seem to be stressed very much. Hope this helps.