Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB failsafe setup help

So my SDB arrived from Brian yesterday while I was at work. Resisted the urge to mess with it when I got home late last night. Wanted to be fresh snd ready to go. Brought me back to the dsys when I was a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive. LOL So I get almost all the way done but I'm stuck at the failsafe powder drop rod. Not sure whats going on but the......rod isn't going up. (I know, don't laugh) seems the white "washer" isn't grasping the rod. The picture in the manual shows a different washer, one that is tapered at the end so it looks like it would grasp the rod, mine moves freely in and out of the rod. I attempted to contact Dillon but when they said I was #33 I figured this would bd faster and I'm on limited minutes anyway. I have some pics below to hopefully help in my description. Need to run to home depot anyway, cool down a bit. Here's the pictures. Thanks guys for the help!

Pieces I'm working with

20140226_113413_zpsdcc93b90.jpg

Yes I know the primer bracket isn't on correct, had to do it that way until I find a permanent spot for press

20140226_113645_zps9c6118e4.jpg

Another shot looking down. See how the white washer isn't grabbing?

20140226_113654_zpsded84311.jpg

Position of powder thrower with handle up all the way

20140226_113724_zpsd11e2569.jpg

Position of powder thrower with handle all the way down, no difference.

20140226_113740_zps941986c1.jpg

I'm curious if you are going to have to modify your bench to mount it? Just a heads up.....I found out the hard way these SDB's (at least the new ones) are not designed to mount flush directly to the bench, I guess they designed them for the strong mount only?......or at least I had to cut a chunk of my 2x4 bench face out and a slot for that fail safe rod to get everything to work

I'm curious if you are going to have to modify your bench to mount it? Just a heads up.....I found out the hard way these SDB's (at least the new ones) are not designed to mount flush directly to the bench, I guess they designed them for the strong mount only?......or at least I had to cut a chunk of my 2x4 bench face out and a slot for that fail safe rod to get everything to work

They work great mounted directly to a bench. If you are having problems mounting directly to a bench, something is put together/set up wrong.

As to the OP....

The handle/ram is not responsible for pushing the rod "up", only pulling it back down. Put a case in the powder sation, pull the handle, and things will become clear.

The powder measure is activated by the case, not the handle (as previously suggested in this thread).

Good luck with the new press! I LOVE my SDB. I load thousands of rounds a month on it.

If you have any other issues, feel free to PM me, as I'm VERY firmiliar with the SDB and troubleshooting it.

Hey, I just noticed that you're from kansas, I should have known by your online moniker. I live in SE KS close to Independence.

Good luck with the SDB, I just picked mine up this morning.

My brother used to live in independence ks, good fishing down there.

Oh man, you mean I struggled for an hour and I just needed to put brass in there? Lol! Such is my luck. Thanks guys! At home Depot now picking up some carriage bolts and tubing to modify the primer catch. I'll double check everything with the bench before I mount it to be sure of any modification I need to do on it too.

They work great mounted directly to a bench. If you are having problems mounting directly to a bench, something is put together/set up wrong.

As to the OP....

The handle/ram is not responsible for pushing the rod "up", only pulling it back down. Put a case in the powder sation, pull the handle, and things will become clear.

The powder measure is activated by the case, not the handle (as previously suggested in this thread).

Good luck with the new press! I LOVE my SDB. I load thousands of rounds a month on it.

If you have any other issues, feel free to PM me, as I'm VERY firmiliar with the SDB and troubleshooting it.

How old is yours? Surely they have changed something recently?

As to the OP....

How old is yours? Surely they have changed something recently?

My SDB is fairly old, and yes there have been a few minor changes. I can list them all if you'd like?

Updates considered, there shouldnt be anything keeping you from mounting the press directly to a bench.

This is what I had to do.....probably could have done something better but oh well........a notch for the fail bar and cut a chunk of the bench out under the press about the size of the black square here. Must be because I am using a solid door as the bench top and then the 2x4 just makes it way too thick?.....doesn't really explain the notch for the bar though, that would hit on any bench thickness I would think?

ZXb4CFR.jpg

• 8 months later...

The newer SDB will not mount flush with the bench if you have a facing below the top of your bench. I just bought SDB #2. My old one was built in the early 90's and the plate to mount the fail safe bar and primer catch has been modified in the past 7-8 years. I called Dillon to see if the old parts were available. They are NOT!

I've wanted to modify the spent primer catch so I took this opportunity to do it. I cut the spent primer portion of the failsafe bracket off so the failsafe would clear the faceplate below my bench top.

I found the mouth of a 32 winchester rimmed case was a press fit into the spent primer hole in the bottom of the press so I cut the rimmed end of 2 cases off (2 presses). The big end fit into a chunk of 3/8 trans cooler line that I've run into my trash barrel.

The press fit of the case was not enough to hold my tubing in the press so I added a touch of silicone. I'll find out today if that holds.

I did chamfer the inner edge of both ends of the 32 case so primer swon't catch on it.

Sorry, No pics