Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

about replacement barrels

Chriznak

What type of action among remington clones, savage, sako trg 42, and barrett mrad have the easiest to replace barrels? Can any barrel blank be fitted to all mentioned actions? What is the general charge of a gunsmith to have a blank chamber-reamed and placed on an action? Does bedding of an action affect barrel cost? I'm trying to figure out what steps are necessary to shoot 300 norma magnum as opposed to 338 lapua magnum. Both cartridged use the same bolt face.

post-39126-0-41313100-1393280119_thumb.j

post-39126-0-60175200-1393280140_thumb.j

Chamber and true action somewhere in the $300 ballpark give or take depending on who does the work. Rifles with a barrel nut such as Savage allow you to fit a barrel yourself but I personally wouldn't go that route. Check out Accuracy International if you don't mind extra weight. All their new model have field changeable barrels and the outgoing AW and I believe AX also can be changed yourself with a small tool investment. Their actions are so consistent that you can swap AI barrels between actions so you can just have a barrel chambered for your AI without sending it off. The new AT model is a great looking setup but if your set on a long action model you will have to step up to a much costlier model.