Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan 9mm

Red Ryder

Wolff's website lists the 9mm 1911 recoil spring at 14lbs. I ordered a 10 and 12 lb recoil spring. It also lists the hammer spring standard of 23 lbs for all calibers. I ordered a 17 and a 19lb main spring. I hope it won't stay a single shot for long. The slide to frame fit is hair less than my Les Baer TRS. I will change the recoil spring to 10lbs first, like Steve RA said. I probably limp wrist the gun a little, given my inferior hand / wrist strength, so my spring settings may have to be slightly lighter than someone else may require. On the bright side, I have had no Failure to feed issues,,,,,, but now that I mentioned this......

So despite what everyone here (some who actually own the same pistol) have advised, you're going to go off some general guideline put out by a spring manufacturer?

Regardless of what wolff lists, STI uses a 10 lb spring recoil spring (unless they've changed recently.) Also, 23 lbs for the mainspring is way too high. It might be great for reliable ignition and if you want a heavier trigger pull weight but you should be closer to 17 +-.

You're going the wrong way.

And I thank the sarcastics folks with mis-information also.

Wolff's website lists the 9mm 1911 recoil spring at 14lbs. I ordered a 10 and 12 lb recoil spring. It also lists the hammer spring standard of 23 lbs for all calibers. I ordered a 17 and a 19lb main spring. I hope it won't stay a single shot for long. The slide to frame fit is hair less than my Les Baer TRS. I will change the recoil spring to 10lbs first, like Steve RA said. I probably limp wrist the gun a little, given my inferior hand / wrist strength, so my spring settings may have to be slightly lighter than someone else may require. On the bright side, I have had no Failure to feed issues,,,,,, but now that I mentioned this......

So despite what everyone here (some who actually own the same pistol) have advised, you're going to go off some general guideline put out by a spring manufacturer?

Regardless of what wolff lists, STI uses a 10 lb spring recoil spring (unless they've changed recently.) Also, 23 lbs for the mainspring is way too high. It might be great for reliable ignition and if you want a heavier trigger pull weight but you should be closer to 17 +-.

How was that 'mis-information?' Lets break it down. I said:

1. 'STI uses a 10 lb spring (unless they've changed recently.)' No mis-information there. Its exactly what it says on the website and what many of the members here also use including me.

2. 'You should be closer to 17+- (lbs for the mainspring)' I'm a lot closer to 15 than 23.

2. '23 lbs for a mainspring is way too high.' No mis-information here.

Most are using 12 lb springs in their .40 major PF pistols, not their 9 minor. 12 is on the heavy side. I'm not sure why STI would go that high.

How was that 'mis-information?' Lets break it down. I said:

1. 'STI uses a 10 lb spring (unless they've changed recently.)' No mis-information there. Its exactly what it says on the website and what many of the members here also use including me.

2. 'You should be closer to 17+- (lbs for the mainspring)' I'm a lot closer to 15 than 23.

2. '23 lbs for a mainspring is way too high.' No mis-information here.

Most are using 12 lb springs in their .40 major PF pistols, not their 9 minor. 12 is on the heavy side. I'm not sure why STI would go that high.

You are right. I stand corrected. I think they use a 12lb recoil spring for the yuppies that buy up all the Corbon ammo (cause that's what was available) to shoot a local match now and then. :)

I recently picked up a new Trojan 9mm. today I took it to the range today and fired two types of rounds with it. 135 Grain Bayou Bullet with 4.1 grains of 7625 OAL of 1.135 with CCI small pistol primers and 124 Grain Montana Gold bullet CMJ with 4.2 Grains of N320. Both work flawlessly in my G17 and G34. BOTH of these loads did not cycle the slide enough to eject spent cases, and on the rare occasion it did, the brass just rolled over the ejection port. I have the stock recoil spring in it. Should I just drop the recoil spring weight down? To what weight? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

New = tight, or it has a problem? Brass is all Glocked up and not resized down far enough??

Have run many different loads through my 9mm Trojan and not found it to be fussy in any way.

Spring, schmeng, if it doesn't run well stock then something seems wrong.