Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a Small Difference

TriggerT

As some of you might know, recently I had to close two retail golf stores that my brother and I had owned and run for several years. Business just jot too slow, and we ended up going under. All of this left me with lots of negative emotions, and thinking that the 8 years I spent in the business was a complete waste of time. This moring I received the following from one of my former employees:

Hey Tim-

Well I'm upset to hear that you had to close the shop down. You and Jeff gave me a great opportunity when I was only a junior in highschool. Most of my friends my age were bagging groceries and I was getting the chance to do something I loved. This past summer and fall I worked up at Boyne Highlands in Northern Michigan and I cant begin to tell you how prepared I was. I was able handle myself in a professional manner in various different situations without getting nervous or flustered. You and Jeff taught me what REAL customer service is supposed to be like and how to excel in the golf business and in life. All summer I was prepared because of what I learned from working with you guys. I was the first intern to ever get Team Boyne Member of the Month. You guys prepared me well and I had a blast doing it, I cant thank you enough.

Nice to know something good came out of the time I spent at out retail stores. Puts a smile on my face, which doesn't happen all that often. :D

TT,

Nice letter and sorry to hear about your stores. I, like you, run a small business. I understand how difficult that experience must be for a businessman.

Take comfort in a few facts:

· Most, if not all, wealthy business people had one or many businesses go under.

· You had the guts to start and run your own business – most people never have or will have that combination of guts and work ethic.

· You must shoot to score. A sure way of never scoring is not to shoot. You took a shot – it wasn’t a waste of effort or time.

· Shoot again!

Good luck.

Cy