Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight measuring

MdImport

Question about measuring the height of front and rear sights on a semi auto. Where do you measure from when determining the height of the sight itself? I have always used the top of the slide...zero'd my mic (digital)...then measured to the top of the sight...keeping it along the same sight plane. Ive used this to determine what front sight to get based on the rear sight height and has worked so far. Thoughts?

Ok, same for the rear? Basically I bought a set of sights based on what the company listed as a height for their rear sight...however when I got them I measured the rear sight .055 lower hence my front sight is wrong and the gun shoots 6" low at 25yds. They advised they measure the rear sight "as it appears to the shooter"...the CORE has a little step down from the top of the slide in front of the dovetail to behind the dovetail...about .056 worth. So they are correct that as it appears to me what the website says its measured as, but that's not the same plane as the front sight and I should have gotten a much lower fr sight. I'm leaving details out obviously, the company has excellent products and their tech/CS responds in minutes to emails and phone calls...not trying to bash them in any way. I'm just making sure I'm not going crazy. I know now to ask more questions before ordering.

• 3 weeks later...