Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nose Dive

ChuckB

I'm reloading Rainier Ballistics 200 Gr Flat Nose bullets to an OAL of 1.220 with a crimp of ,469 for an XDM.

I've been experiencing some issues with the rounds nose diving into the bottom of the feed ramp and not feeding properly. The feed ramp is catching the very edge of the flat nose. If the nose was even slightly smaller it wouldn't be an issue. Replacing my magazine springs have helped significantly but I'm still experiencing the issue occasionally.

Would changing my OAL help the round to be more reliable? Would I need to go longer or shorter?

Edited by ChuckB

Longer doesn't necessarily improve feeding of flat nose bullets. I too am at 1.165 to 1.17 OAL. But you could try longer with some dummy loads, no powder or primer and see if that improves your feed issue. If the rounds are diving now making them shorter will probably make things worse....

Sometimes increasing the length will put the shoulder of the bullet into the rifling of the barrel. That is why I have to keep the 225 FP's from Xtreme so short in my 1911's. Don't know if the Rainiers would have the same issue.

If factory RN's feed just fine (and they do in my buddys XDM as well as plated RN's) like poster #2 the fp's may be the issue. If you are happy with 200's Xtreme does make 200 grn RN's if that will fix your feed issues

Are you reloading Rainier's that short? If I go much shorter the edge of the case becomes more prevalent. I'm thinking the Rainier must be a different profile.

Looking through my old reloading data, it looks like I had better luck when I was at 1.225 then I do now at 1.220. I went shorter because that seemed too long compared to standard loads and I wanted to use less powder if I could (I shot about 1000 at 1.220 before the issue came up and about 2500 at 1.225 with 1 malfunction).

I've measured the chamber with this bullet profile at about 1.29 so I have plenty of room to go longer

Edited by ChuckB

No I am using Xtreme flat points and they have a rather short taper section compared to other flat nose bullets. I am not familiar with the Rainier FP's so they may not be able to be loaded as short as the Xtreme's

If you had a length that worked before, stick with it. 1.225 really isn't long or short. Most Hollowpoints are somewhere around that length and if you look at the profile they are not that different from FP's

I have found with the Xtreme FP's I am stuck with one length. I have to alter powder charges rather than rely on changing the OAL like you can with RN's

In general flat points cannot be loaded as long as RN's. Geometry doesn't work out....