Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm LRN load data

counterstrike661

I am having trouble finding load data for reloading my 9mm. This will be my first loads with it, otherwise have only done .40 and 5.56 reloading. I have searched the webs and find pretty big variances in data. I will be using a SNS 125gr RN coated bullet with Unique powder. According to my Hornady manual, it says to use 4.5gr to get 1000fps and a OAL of 1.090. Tried that, and that will not work. With this particular bullet it goes past the "seat" portion of the bullet [From R - L, bullet, seated at 1.090, factory bullet. (please refer to pic)]. I think that 1.115-1.125 would be right in the right range of the OAL.

From my searches from other boards and other manuals, it seems the loads vary from 4.0 - 6.0 gn. One manual says starting load to be 4.0 and other other says 5.2 which is a pretty big difference. Wanting to see what others are using and have had success with?

but still not definitive data with his findings. According to his he had cycling issues with 4.5gn. I may also switch to Powerpistol as the load variance is driving me up a wall with Unique. I am getting one drop with 4.4 and the next 5.2gn. I no longer have my .40 so I would like to use the rest up before I move on, but there is no definite decision. Having trouble finding load data for that as well.

Btw, I will be using CCI 550 magnum primers as I made the classic mistake instead of getting 550. After a long search, many have reported no change in pressures and chrono. It seems that Unique has no care and does not respond any different. I will be using a starting load so I am not too worried.

Since I have not yet started, I can also use the Powerpistol. Someone mentioned that Unique is a little too slow for 9mm.

post-51310-0-51394500-1388161821_thumb.j

Edited by counterstrike661

4.1 gr of 231/HP38 is what I use for my 124/125 gr cast boolits. OAL 1.10. This load is my competition load for IPSC/IDPA. PM me your email address and I wil send you my loading spreadsheet. You cna choose from there. Unique is an excellent powder for the 9MM. Powders with approx. the same burn rate should all work well in this caliber. What gun are using? Too, I size all my 9MM boolits .357. At that size they seal the bore better, reduces and/or eliminates leading.

Take care

Bob

Unique is a good powder for 9mm but does not meter well for me. Power Pistol is a great choice and you can't blow yourself up with either powder.

Do a drop test to determine your max loading length and subtract .015 and that should be your OAL. Start with the min. published data and work up using a chrono.

I have some of those same SNS bullets to load up and try here soon so I will keep an eye on this thread.

For my self cast bullets, 127ish grains @ 1.12 OAL

4.3 gr of Unique (most accurate)

4.7 gr of Unique (still accurate but had a few fliers and was pretty snappy)

As a reference I run 4.7 gr of Unique with 124gr Xtreme Plateds at 1.15 OAL (need to chrono to see if I make Minor PF, chrono is on list of things to buy) and it is really accurate out of my XD.

I recently bought a reloader to reload 9mm for my M&P using 125gr LRN. I could not find a specific recipe for this so I emailed Alliant. They replied with several recipes with different powders. Using Unique the recommendation with lead was:

124/125gr Lead:

Unique start 4grs max 4.5grs

I've attached the email they sent with the various recipes. The previous owner of the LLM reloader found that an OAL of 1.125 worked great for him using 125gr lead.

9mm_Luger-Misc_data.doc

Edited by easternNC4me

I recently bought a reloader to reload 9mm for my M&P using 125gr LRN. I could not find a specific recipe for this so I emailed Alliant. They replied with several recipes with different powders. Using Unique the recommendation with lead was:

124/125gr Lead:

Unique start 4grs max 4.5grs

I've attached the email they sent with the various recipes. The previous owner of the LLM reloader found that an OAL of 1.125 worked great for him using 125gr lead.

Great, thanks for the info.

Edited by counterstrike661

On handloads.com someone posted that at 6gn of Uninque they were getting 1165FPS @ 1.15 OAL and suggested starting at 5.4 gn. This is the huge variation I am talking about. I found on another board someone was using 4.3 gn and they stated it was a really soft shooting but didn't write anything about cycling issues.

Though I infrequently use Unique much anymore, in one of my old books specific to the caliber, 5.3grns of Unique using a round nosed 124grn bullet was considered a "factory duplication load" @ 1.125 or so OAL. This load, some have remarked, seems on the stiff side compared to some other data from some newer books. Others use more as a max. Over the years it seems that load data has been somewhat reduced from former years. Whether this is due to reformulations in powders or just general "suit consciousness" from the manufacturers, I will say that European standards and SAAMI standard have diverged over the years with SAAMI specs getting a bit weaker. Be that as it may, I would doubt that 4.0grns of the stuff will run the gun with stock springs, but it may. Don't load too many at the minimum unless you enjoy hand racking the slide. It may be prudent to start somewhere in the middle at something like 4.4grns and see what you think and the chrono reveals.

I know this does not exactly match your request. I have only loaded 115grn moly bullet from Precision with 5.6 grn Unique. works fine in all of my 9mm's loaded to an OAL of 1.12. I have run this in my Glocks and my Canik 55 (CZ 75 clone) without any issues other than a little smokey!

So I would think a heavier bullet 125grn would be somewhere in the 4.5 grn of Unique range.

4.3gr hp38 over a 124gr lead lee bullet has worked well for me. Also 3.8gr of titegroup over same bullet was very accurate but smoked like crazy so i stopped using that powder. I want to try WST based on advice from some people about less felt recoil with that powder and suppose to burn cooler so works well with lead bullets.

Unique is a good powder for 9mm but does not meter well for me. Power Pistol is a great choice and you can't blow yourself up with either powder.

Do a drop test to determine your max loading length and subtract .015 and that should be your OAL. Start with the min. published data and work up using a chrono.

+1

• 3 months later...

Just found and bought an 8# keg of Unique. Good to know if doesn't meter very well so I'll be sure to check my loads MORE frequently. But it was available and I was running low on Titegroup so I'll make it work!!

Just found and bought an 8# keg of Unique. Good to know if doesn't meter very well so I'll be sure to check my loads MORE frequently. But it was available and I was running low on Titegroup so I'll make it work!!

Depends on the powder measure mine never varies more than +/- .1 gr however its usually right on. I use the Lee Pro Auto Disk.

It'll be the Dillon SDB. It is SPOT ON using Titegroup, never a fluctuation so I'll be curious to see how it does with Unique. I have a lot of it so I'm hoping for results like yours!