Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi from Texas (Plano)

Mpie427

I plan on attending my first 3-Gun match this weekend at the ETTS range in Waxahachie, Texas. I do not know about you guys, but it has taken me about 1 year to put together all the gear needed including working out all the bugs – I hope J

I started in competitive shooting about 1 year ago focusing on Steel matches, IDPA and USPSA style matches.

Yea I am still collecting all my stinking gear and its been about 9 months and I just received my rifle! Wife has me on a very limited budget :S. If you are looking for other matches there are at least 2 or 3 a month in my area alone (Ft. Hood/Killeen) if you willing to drive a couple of hours.

It truly is a never ending "hobby". The hardest for me to setup was the shotgun. I ended up buying a friend’s M2 that was somewhat tuned, then sent it to Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting to lighten the bolt, add and setup POA front sight and opened the receiver...they did a great job and I would recommend going that route to save some headaches.

Before all that I was loading weak hand and now with the opened receiver I will start loading strong hand using Taccom Shell caddies. I got those off this sight used.

What type of rifle? I just got mine after a long wait in November along with a Vortex 1-6 X 24 scope and use a G17 with Sevigney sights and some lighter springs - basically stock.

I have a "complete" rifle with a Stag 3 lower and a Stage 3G upper and a Burris TAC30 scope. It is going to be awhile before I am able to do anything regarding trigger job etc...but my pistol I have an XD40 looking to get an XDM 5.25. The only thing I "really" need is a shotgun. I have a SKB shotgun currently which is a great gun, but not so much for 3 gun considering it only holds 5 shells. I would like to get a 930JM Pro, but alas cant afford everything I want so someday...haha

It sounds like you are almost there, at least with the rifle/scope and the pistol. I shot the 3G Sunday and did okay, no penalties and hit all the long range targets. In that match they also do a 2G, just rifle and pistol...

You need to check out the Dallas Pistol Club and those events (all pistol and Rim fire only matches), very fun but a drive for you. The shotgun is a loading game. You have to be a proficient loader to compete well using a shotgun. I recently switched to the TACCOM loaders from using the AP style "weak" hand loading, using both this is the way to go. I bought mine off this site used.

Edited by Mpie427

What size shell loaders do use. I was looking on the site and they seem very similar to my friends Otto Load 2 belt, but his was the 24 shell version rather large and cumbersome I must say. But thanks for giving me this site def cheaper than the other versions I have been looking up.