Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just shot my new SP01 Shadow Custom for the first time.

katit

I can see why some may not want the auto-close. I for one like it a lot and it certainly saves me a little time on run-dry reloads (we have a fair few of those with little dicky 10 round mags!).

Thanks feralshooter for the diagnosis on why it happens. that makes much more sense than my half assed guess (bumping of the slide stop). i purely noticed how close a round comes to the slide stop and assumed it was hitting there that cause the auto close. your reason makes much more sense and the analysis of my 7 year old shadow vs your 3 month old tends to support that.

Magz, one reason I would say there is a speed advantage (even compared to using the slide lock lever) is the fact that not everyone can use the slide lock lever from their natural best grip position. so altering your grip to work the lever, then regaining a good grip does cost time. I have quite big hands but I still have to change grip to use the lever. with the auto close as soon as the mag is pushed home the slide closes and I'm ready to add my support hand to the grip.

I also agree with feralshooter that the chances of getting an empty chamber are pretty unlikely. I know katit got a fail to feed (bullet hung up hitting top of chamber) but that is (in my opinion) most likely down to it being a brand new gun.

I have done the run-dry auto close reload literally 200+ times by my calculations and I've NEVER had it fail to feed. there is no reason it won't feed just as well as if you're working the slide release with your thumb. the slide is being released from the same point after all.

as feralshooter pointed out the chances of the slide dropping from a knock or bump are pretty slim to none.

Magsz, thanks for putting me in the picture about what the CZC slide stop mod is. That makes total sense. my false assumption that auto-close was caused by the top round interacting with the slide stop made be think their slide stop mod was something to do with that.